Alligator or crocidle tooth?

Chris Anderson

Me and my wifewere walking North Myrtle Beach today and found this with a bunch of sharks teeth and other fossils. It looks like either a alligator or crocidle tooth to me. I can't seem to get a good inside picture of it where it is broken. There is no shiny black enamel on it. Can anyone please help identify it?

IMG_20210112_183521225.jpg

IMG_20210112_183639609~2.jpg

Brightened and cropped

IMG_20210113_012151.jpg.b3abd8f0e913b404c4dd35eeb5a3757c.jpg

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Sorry, but this doesn't look like a tooth to me - it not only lacks the enamel, but also has a different texture then dentine - though it is probably still bone. However, to me it seems a rather nondescript piece, so I'm not sure if you're going to get much information out of it...

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

The official ID: speckosaurus/fragmentadon/chiplodocus/chunkosaur :BigSmile:

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes

8 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

I am also not so sure this is a tooth. It is missing enamel and the general shape is off. 

agree 100%

I think  it is a Dugong rib fragment.  Very common in the peace river Florida.  Shiny  Very very dense bone without any trabecular bone that are brittle and can break into pointy fragments.  The first pieces that I found made me very excited I thought it must be tusk. (not)

You already have your answer but I am chipping in a little. Croc teeth have a hollowed out cross section like this

Deinosuchus_Black-Creek_4.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!