New AMScope using Astro 224 camea

OregonFossil

5 days late my scope arrives late yesterday. Put it together before bed time:)  I had read here I believe that you could adapt the triocular camera adapter by using a .96" EP holder. I did but I got rid of the AM supplied connector and used a .96 (with electric tape) to 1 1/4" adapter. Using the snout (1 1/4") that came with my Astro 224 camera it works. Downside is very high Power. However when I am not removing tiny Eocene invertebrates the high power images can be useful (although I do have a regular macro setup for bigger finds). 

Here is how I got the attached 5 image stack. I use SharpCap to capture single snaps to a folder (Using PNG/color). Then place them in Photoshop in layers, and then align and focus stack. Will be useful in helping to identify the species of snail that this is. I put a .5 inexpensive reduce on the 224 to get usable scale (it is going to be great for real micro fossils and water life in my creek.  Snail in image is 2mm long, so while big for a micro fossil I think it still can be called one:)!

Not using the 224 that much since I got the larger sensor 294, so its new use will find it atop a microscope instead of a telescope:)I captured the image out to ShapeCap (astronomy software) on my desk using the 50" 4K Tv to view.

1stMacroSnail.thumb.jpg.8d9c63a9428df8e42466928d16446c4b.jpg

All in all very happy with the setup. 3x-10x is perfect for digging the small guys out of matrix, high mag's for shell features for species ID.

• I found this Informative 3