Moroccan Mystery

Yasmin95

Hi Y'all,

I am new here :)

During the lockdown (in the Netherlands) I started cleaning and documenting my collection. There are a few things I am not sure about. 

So if anyone could help, Yes please :)

So this thing I am not sure what I am looking at. The thing that is weird to me is that if you look at it from the tip it lloks like a +. This wants to make me cross out a dinosaur but the bone structure does not look like a fish. Sooo I am a bit confuzed

Measurements are

LxHXB

24cmx5.1cmx4cm

Thank you for looking :)

fish-dino.1.jpg

fish-dino.5.jpg

fish-dino.4.jpg

fish-dino.3.jpg

fish-dino.2.jpg

Wow that is a weird one. I agree that the bone structure seems to resemble reptiles rather than fish. But it's a weird shape. It looks like it's bilaterally symmetrical right?

I don't know any skull bone that looks like this. I dunno, a really weird neural spine of a vertebra maybe? The only literal cross sections like this that I can think of are the dorsal spines of Rebbachisaurids. But even so, they seem to be consirably different. Could your specimen be just the core of the X with the thin walls on the edges being broken off? In that scenario it might fit reasonably well.

Rebbachisaurus dorsal vertebra.

rebbachisaurus_924.jpg.6458e38f59b237b3b83b2c83a21e9a39.jpg

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

2 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Wow that is a weird one. I agree that the bone structure seems to resemble reptiles rather than fish. But it's a weird shape. It looks like it's bilaterally symmetrical right?

I don't know any skull bone that looks like this. I dunno, a really weird neural spine of a vertebra maybe? The only literal cross sections like this that I can think of are the dorsal spines of Rebbachisaurids. But even so, they seem to be consirably different. Could your specimen be just the core of the X with the thin walls on the edges being broken off? In that scenario it might fit reasonably well.

Rebbachisaurus dorsal vertebra.

rebbachisaurus_924.jpg.6458e38f59b237b3b83b2c83a21e9a39.jpg

Hey Olof thanks, This was my first guess to, bu the bone looked so much thicker than a normal vertebra. But then again this this sauropod which probably have a thicker bone structure. 

7 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Perhaps a well eroded proximal of a premaxila?

Something like this:

unnamed.gif.417fe6da96f6850c26169c9addb3bd8f.gif

+1 from me... My first inclination was skull bone...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

11 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

the bone structure seems to resemble reptiles rather than fish

I've been hearing this from various parties now - that there's a visual difference in bone structure between reptile and fish - but have never got a clear answer on this. Could someone please explain this one to me?

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

8 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Perhaps a well eroded proximal of a premaxila?

Something like this:

unnamed.gif.417fe6da96f6850c26169c9addb3bd8f.gif

It does show some similarity. But most dinosaurs and crocs don't have fused premaxillae. And Kem Kem doesn't have mosasaurs as it's too early.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

It does show some similarity. But most dinosaurs and crocs don't have fused premaxillae. And Kem Kem doesn't have mosasaurs as it's too early.

Yeah, it’s weird for sure. I knew it was too early for mosasaurs, but was only clear image I could find earlier today :rolleyes: