crab with red flags?

Ezio Bonsignore

Do you see any obvious red fkag with this one? It is described as Zanthopsis dufouri,  8×7×5 cm, Eocene (47.8-56 m/y), from the French region of Aude. It llooks very nice, but what both attracts and puzzles me it that it appears ti be "sitting" onto its matrix, like a jewel on a silk cushion. What do you thing? An excellent prep work, or...?

crab1.jpg

Looks like it was prepped off the matrix and then reattached, makes for a nicer presentation I think.

• I found this Informative 1

Cephalopods rule!!

I agree, this looks like it has been prepped very well, perhaps carefully under the body, I see no red flags myself. 

Lovely crab! 

Crab.gif.85469694b54c0e34fbd7f4a4e91f9584.gif

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The matrix itself is suspect. I agree that likely parts of crab fossils were glued to this to make a presentation specimen. The critter itself is likely real.

Thank you all for yoiur answers! I also find it rather weird that there is not the slightest trace of legs, and so the matrix is most probably not the original one but just a random piece of rock.

I posted these photos a while back.  They are of Zanthopsis dufouri that I entirely removed from it's matrix and mounted.

001top.JPG

002front.JPG

003rear.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

I think the matrix is real.  I have been to a Zanthopsis site in France (with one of fellow Forumites... merci) where the crabs have very similar preservation, and the rock looks like this stuff.  Now whether it has been remounted or the claws added... I cannot say, but we did find lots of both isolated carapaces and claws at this site.  

• I found this Informative 1

So, this is probably a composite of an original carapace and original claws (not from the same animal) glued together on a geologically correct piece of rock, which however is not the original matrix. Thanks again everybody

Edited by Ezio Bonsignore
wrong spelling

I know very well this kind of Zanthopsis and who prepares them. Matrix is Eocene in age, but not from a site where Zanthopsis is found. Plus claws have been opened and repositioned in a more dramatic pose.

Said that, it is still a nice example

• 1 year later...

hi

i don´t know if this is still interesting for you, but i recently acquired this Zanthopsis from an auction and the description was similar, also from Aude/france.

maybe it was the same preparator. also the aspect of my crab is very similar to the one in your pictures. and to me it looks like the crab has no feet and is maybe re-attached to the rock. but still a nice item and didn´t cost a fortune.

here are some pics from mine, sorry for the background.

cheers,

ray

733527796_Zanthopsis1.jpg

Zanthopsis 2.jpg

Zanthopsis 3.jpg

matrix is real, we had some with this "green matrix" and know they come from this. Otherwise, you never know if both crab claws originally belong to these crab. Many of them are incomplete, claw is missing or bad, so sometimes one of another sample will be attached. Size looks perfect, so if it has been attached it is really well done and you will never see it.

I would buy it, it´s nice and pretty