Keeping Safe while collecting

OregonFossil

Bear spray might be good (certainly better than nothing) but we had a lady killed by a cougar 2 years ago. Solo hiking in a well traveled area, she spray the cougar but it did not deter the attack. If you are a small person don't got solo (seems like I've seen that word before). I have a lot of time (grew up in Eastern Oregon) around critters that are capable of hurting you or eating you. If you go solo (I too have military experience in SE Asia) and you are in big predator land well don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Many outcrops here in Oregon are in the mountains. No cell reception, few people, and you are on your own. Even on roads (and some roads here folks would call rock crawling in other areas) you need to use good judgement. 4 wheel drive can often get you where you shouldn't be (lots of stories on this). At 71 I would never climb, and here in the west there are a lot mines and caves that call your name, as others have said don't go there. If you are in the west Hantavirus can be found in old abandoned buildings and caves/mines. I know a couple of guys that explore these things with respirators and then burn their cloths and have a bag shower with them. NOT worth the risk. 

Don't ware new boots, break them in well before you go out for that long day.

Question: What would you have done?

Road in rual Oregon. Incredible outcropping and talus of the Pittsburg Formation in a road cut. However, almost no shoulder and parking 1/4 miles from the talus. Traffic - trucks on a two lane road (55 MPH posted, 65 actual - blew my hat off a couple of times). Knowing that I probably would not go back and this was a clear day (30 degrees  F when I started) and the road was dry, I decided to fill my two 10 gal buckets with Talus (took about 2 hours). Today I am thinking perhaps I was really pushing the envelope. The log trucks were acting like it was Le-mans but most who saw me moved to the center  or other lane (about one truck every 10/15 minutes). The fossils are incredible and because it was unconsolidated sandstone they are moved easily. Would you go there?

8 minutes ago, OregonFossil said:

Road in rual Oregon. Incredible outcropping and talus of the Pittsburg Formation in a road cut. However, almost no shoulder and parking 1/4 miles from the talus. Traffic - trucks on a two lane road (55 MPH posted, 65 actual - blew my hat off a couple of times). Knowing that I probably would not go back and this was a clear day (30 degrees  F when I started) and the road was dry, I decided to fill my two 10 gal buckets with Talus (took about 2 hours). Today I am thinking perhaps I was really pushing the envelope. The log trucks were acting like it was Le-mans but most who saw me moved to the center  or other lane (about one truck every 10/15 minutes). The fossils are incredible and because it was unconsolidated sandstone they are moved easily. Would you go there?

Sounds very risky. Is there a way to go from the top? If not, possibly using traffic cones as an early warning for the trucks? 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks for the info on climbing rope. As for paracord I know it has a tinsel strength and not for climbing. Tying gear together and tying down a tent or making a shelter. How about a splint for the unwanted sprain or broken bone. Never lash or tie inside a canoe heavy gear, you can find it downriver later. I did buy a hat with a long neck guard that covers the ears to shoulder due to a history of skin cancer. Gerber multi tools. 

4 hours ago, Bob Saunders said:

Thanks for the info on climbing rope. As for paracord I know it has a tinsel strength and not for climbing. Tying gear together and tying down a tent or making a shelter. How about a splint for the unwanted sprain or broken bone. Never lash or tie inside a canoe heavy gear, you can find it downriver later. I did buy a hat with a long neck guard that covers the ears to shoulder due to a history of skin cancer. Gerber multi tools. 

Nylon accessory cord has a lot of uses, some even in association with climbing (making prussik loops, threading Abalakovs, rigging rappel stations for bail points, etc). It's just not good as a main climbing rope.

I normally do carry a short amount of accessory cord ad/or nylon webbing (normally ~15m of 5mm accessory cord and 5m of nylon tubular webbing) when in deep backcountry situations. Cord/rope can be useful for splinting in an emergency but in those cases you're still talking about first aid administered by a second party.

6 hours ago, OregonFossil said:

Bear spray might be good (certainly better than nothing) but we had a lady killed by a cougar 2 years ago. Solo hiking in a well traveled area, she spray the cougar but it did not deter the attack. If you are a small person don't got solo (seems like I've seen that word before). I have a lot of time (grew up in Eastern Oregon) around critters that are capable of hurting you or eating you. If you go solo (I too have military experience in SE Asia) and you are in big predator land well don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Yeah cougars can be tricky. I've had a few encounters which have obviously turned out okay, but they do occasionally kill people. Here they get people, mostly smaller women, who go cross-country skiing solo. Being able to project size by shouting, waving your hands, jumping up and down, waving sticks or branches, etc is a big part of deterring a cougar. Being in a group helps a lot too. It's sort of the opposite of a grizzly where you just want to look as unthreatening as possible, playing dead, etc. Other large predators are obviously different; I'm glad there's no polar bears near where I live, for instance. Knowing the animal and knowing how to respond is pretty important.

• I found this Informative 2

On 1/19/2021 at 8:59 PM, Kato said:

@jdp @LabRatKing

June, July, August...phew! Far less chance for ice chutes and falls. Pure technical ice climbing I haven't done and no high mountain ice adventures in 2 decades. Out of my experience base. 

I like the heat! Not a fine of ice and snow anymore.

gear has come waaaaay down in price the last decade or so. A basic cantoneering rig with top rope, descent and evac ascent can be had for under 500$

On 1/20/2021 at 8:09 AM, OregonFossil said:

That’s a situation where I’d just find the closest pub and log into this site. Humans and their vehicles are the biggest danger to rockhounds.

@LabRatKing :beer:.

I have yet to see the fossil worth risking my life for.  :shakehead:

[Although I must confess that in my younger, more physically agile (but much less mentally agile :s_cry:) days, I did risk my life and/or (at least) limb in the pursuit of absolutely scientifically insignificant  fossils.  -  Ah, "Thrill of the Hunt"  you are a seductive, evil mistress, indeed you are! :fear:]

• I found this Informative 1

11 minutes ago, grandpa said:

@LabRatKing :beer:.

I have yet to see the fossil worth risking my life for.  :shakehead:

[Although I must confess that in my younger, more physically agile (but much less mentally agile :s_cry:) days, I did risk my life and/or (at least) limb in the pursuit of absolutely scientifically insignificant  fossils.  -  Ah, "Thrill of the Hunt"  you are a seductive, evil mistress, indeed you are! :fear:]

Yep, me too. These days, science can wait for someone younger and dumber...though in my 20s dangerous thrill seeking for fossils, bugs, and shiny stuff took its toll. 

“The path is smooth that leadeth into danger”

~”Venus and Adonis”

• I found this Informative 1

There is an old adage that there are old climbers, there are bold climbers, but there are few who are both. Good lesson to internalize with risk-taking in any sort of outdoor setting.