Osteoderms- Scirrotherium ?

LabRatKing

Hello gang,

Here is an osteoderm. This was in a box from my travels, purchased in Cartagena, Columbia in a little shop on the Plaza de las Esmeraldas in the El Laguito.

Sadly, the identity and location are long gone due to a sudden intrusion of the ocean weeks later in Chile. (Long story involving a ship and some outdated charts in Caleta Cinfuncho...) The ink ran on the label and only “Magdalena” and “Huila” are legible...dang ballpoints...

Anyway, I am attempting to ID it.

Best I can tell this is likely 

Scirrotherium hondaensis, which means Magdalena River, Honda group, lower Villavieja fm. Huila, Columbia

Hoping someone here is more knowledgeable as I’m just guessing from a few web searches!

DB2F8076-DE5B-42CD-AE8E-E18BAEFA85D2.jpeg

613A97DE-4445-44E3-8306-9D650D2D265C.jpeg

DC44993C-EECB-4CAD-A42A-E2744297CF1C.jpeg

4A9AABD8-04BD-421B-864D-CDB1D3568AED.jpeg

C9E58A9E-AAC2-40CB-9DAD-FC8266AF06FE.jpeg

BDB780F5-50FB-46CA-BC93-9580BBC1E178.jpeg

Armadillo, I believe

• I found this Informative 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Apparently the genus Scirrotherium is going through a systematic reevaluation and is paraphyletic with Holmesina.  It could be an ancestor of the giant armadillo we know here in North America, or it may be conspecific.  In any case - it is a giant armadillo :)

Systematic revision and redefinition of the genus Scirrotherium Edmund and Theodor, 1997 (Cingulata, Pampatheriidae): Implications for the origin of pampatheriids and the evolution of the South American lineage including Holmesina

Yeah, I was finding all sorts of contradicting information...good to see taxonomy is an issue outside Platyhelminthes as the battle to categorize is a mess there too.