Moolack Beach, OR - Possible Bone?

RockSpongeTaco

Hi,

Was down beachcombing Oregon after the recent storms and stopped at Moolack to look for fossils. I'm generally familiar with the bivalves and other invertebrate fossils that are present. However this particular specimen has me scratching my head. It appears to be in the same hard mudstone that most of the invertebrate fossils are in, however there are many grey look-alike rocks on the beach and this one has obviously been tumbled for a while with the other beach cobbles. It is about 4 inches (long axis), and 2x2 inches (short axis, on end).

I've seen toredo wood, which the center 'tubules' remind me of, however the toredo wood I've seen is usually a very dark grey, not the light grey. Some of the pits on the side remind me of the partial pits made by the piddock clams in the harder mud. It also vaguely resembles internal bone structure from whale bone and various slabs of "gem bone". Any thoughts as to what this might be? Thank you!

-J

Back.jpg

End 1_Alt.jpg

End 2.jpg

Front.jpg

I have seen toredo wood at moolack without wood too. my best guess is that's what it is but let's see what more experienced members have to say.

Definitely Teredolites - this is just an example where there's very, very little wood left (and, a good example of why this specimen was preserved in the first place: this log was so worm-ridden the worms probably caused the log to sink). I wouldn't be bothered with the difference in color, esp. if the darker color is typical in teredo-bored wood outside of concretions (a typical phenomenon in marine rocks of similar lithology to the Astoria Fm.).