Flag Ponds MD Fossil ID

Genericname

Agreed, a partial vert with some of the centrum and pedicle attached  Anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but the rugose texture on the surface indicates that it was a juvenile animal with unfused epiphyses.

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

the rugose texture on the surface indicates that it was a juvenile animal with unfused epiphyses.

Actually, the epiphysis it what gives the vertebrae the texture, indicating that this was from a mature animal. If the epiphysis was unfused then the vert would be smooth on both ends ;) 

19 minutes ago, Fossil_finder_ said:

Actually, the epiphysis it what gives the vertebrae the texture, indicating that this was from a mature animal. If the epiphysis was unfused then the vert would be smooth on both ends ;) 

Here's a small whale vert from Lee Creek where the epiphysis isn't completely fused. The first two photos show the epiphysis still on the vert. Notice that the outside is smooth. When I remove the epiphysis, you can see the rough surface where the two pieces meet. In old adults the two will become completely fused where you can't see the suture between them. 

whale1.jpg

whale2.jpg

whale3.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

24 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Notice that the outside is smooth

Wow, I've been organizing my bones all wrong. I was taught that the vertebrae fuse with the epiphysis facing outwards like this, and that that the outside would be smooth when the whale matures. :DOH:

Great fossil though, I learn something new every time I join this forum.

coookie.jpg