Hi everyone, I was recently offered this Giganotosaurus tooth. I was wondering if there was a way to distinguish it from carcharodontosaurus teeth from the kem kem beds? Or if anyone can share there opinion on this one, thank you.

20210119_124128.jpg

20210119_124151.jpg

This is a Carcharodontosaurid tooth from the Kem Kem basin. Not Giga. Giga teeth are exceptionally rare. 

• I found this Informative 1

Preservation/matrix and repairs looks like KK 

Just curious has the seller provided you a provenance on the tooth, none seen on the label...red flag but it easily gotten on the web

Looks like a Carchardontosaurid from the Kem Kem. Much better provenance is needed to validate the rarity and value of this tooth.

I agree the first thing I noticed was the preservation and sand which was very kem kem, its very hard to compare to any Argentina teeth I can find.

Unfortunately there was no specific provenance as far as location/formation.

Thank you very much for your help!

25 minutes ago, Kurufossils said:

I agree the first thing I noticed was the preservation and sand which was very kem kem, its very hard to compare to any Argentina teeth I can find.

Unfortunately there was no specific provenance as far as location/formation.

Thank you very much for your help!

The preservation isn’t entirely off. However, the killer is the lack of provenance on what would be an extremely rare and valuable tooth.

Thank you for the holotype image it is interesting to see the visual look of these teeth but especially nice to see the formation name there as well.

Unfortunately, Gigantosaurus teeth are so rare that the only way you can be sure of one is if the 3 factors below happen:

1) The tooth doesn't have obvious sand or color from Kem Kem Beds

2) The tooth comes with specific locality details

3) It comes from a very reliable source

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!