Possible Egg

Hello_There

Found in a wash of an Upper Cretaceous formation in the Four Corners area of the United States.  I guess it is some sort of fossilized egg but would like a second opinion.  In the formation, fossils from former terrestrial, aquatic and arboreal life is routinely found.  The specimen is 6.3 cm long, and due to some compression at the time of fossilization is sort of shaped like a Brazil nut around its middle.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I will give an educated guess to you. This is likely to be geologic, not biologic. Eggs that I have seen posted on the forum have thin shells. Looking at the second picture, the upper right side (the crack) shows the surface white going deep into the "fossil" eliminating the likelihood of an egg diagnosis. 2.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

I will give an educated guess to you. This is likely to be geologic, not biologic. Eggs that I have seen posted on the forum have thin shells. Looking at the second picture, the upper right side (the crack) shows the surface white going deep into the "fossil" eliminating the likelihood of an egg diagnosis. 

The photos aren't that great so I made a short video of the specimen and put it on YouTube if you'd like to take a look.  It is at: 

I’m thinking some sort of concretion that has been put under geologic pressure. It also doesn’t have the pores (I forgot their actual name) that would be on the surface of an egg for the embryo to take in oxygen. Be more specific on the “Cretaceous formation.” The “four corners area” comprises of four different states, and is definitely not specific enough. What is the name of the formation? If you do not know that, how do you know it is Cretaceous?

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

12 minutes ago, Randyw said:

I have got to go along with the others it’s a rock not an egg sorry.

14 minutes ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

I’m thinking some sort of concretion that has been put under geologic pressure. It also doesn’t have the pores (I forgot their actual name) that would be on the surface of an egg for the embryo to take in oxygen. Be more specific on the “Cretaceous formation.” The “four corners area” comprises of four different states, and is definitely not specific enough. What is the name of the formation? If you do not know that, how do you know it is Cretaceous?

24 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

I will give an educated guess to you. This is likely to be geologic, not biologic. Eggs that I have seen posted on the forum have thin shells. Looking at the second picture, the upper right side (the crack) shows the surface white going deep into the "fossil" eliminating the likelihood of an egg diagnosis. 

Okay.  Thank you for your thoughts.

On 1/19/2021 at 4:31 PM, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

I know the name of the formation where this was collected, but for my own reason, choose not to share it.  The formation isn't of paramount importance like some believe it is because it only provides a baseline for the extreme age of what is being found there.  What I mean is, if you find object X in the ground in a Jurassic formation, then you can probably determine the age by that formation, however, if it is on top of the ground in a wash in a Jurassic formation, you really have no idea when it was deposited there because life has been living right there from the Jurassic period until the present.  Where I collect, in the same immediate area on top of the ground I have found shark teeth, dinosaur bones, petrified wood, a bison horn, Indian pottery shards and a beer bottle.  See what I mean?

There are also those here that have minded my business waaaay too much in the past and I choose not to share certain things, such as where I collect or live. 

But I do appreciate a second opinion, if possible, given some limited information on my part.