Weird Florissant Shale thing

Earendil

Hey everyone,

Asking about a piece of shale I just opened, there appears to be a little soft-bodied creature on it, however, it could just be an insect. :zzzzscratchchin:The small piece measures exactly 1 and 3/8 of an inch. Is it a badly preserved beetle? Notice the small oval-shaped things lining the back. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

IMG-3428.JPG

IMG-3425.JPG

IMG_6119.jpg

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes

yes on the badly preserved part.  I don't think it can be IDed as detailed as a beetle.  The Florissant s full of insects of varying degrees of preservation, many of which leave a person saying "This might be an insect".  Others, though, are much more obviously insects.  

Cropped, enlarged, contrasted, and reversed, also. 

Florissant256.jpg  Florissant8.thumb.JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Could it be something like this? Ostracods have been found there. Quoting the Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument Geologic Resources Evaluation Report,

"According to Meyer (2003), invertebrates other than insects and spiders at Florissant include a species of ostracod (Cypris florissantensis [mussel shrimp])" 

@LabRatKing, you're the freshwater expert. Does the above fossil look like an ostracod to you?

ostracod.jpg

I would have to look through my Florissant fossils, but I think the ostracods are preserved as 3d oval shells, not carbon stains like the insects.  The fossil in question is a carbon stain (imprint).  

• I found this Informative 1

13 minutes ago, jpc said:

I would have to look through my Florissant fossils, but I think the ostracods are preserved as 3d oval shells, not carbon stains like the insects.  The fossil in question is a carbon stain (imprint).  

Yeah, I noticed that after researching it a bit. I dunno, my instinct is just to say this is not a bug...

3 hours ago, jpc said:

Yes. They are nearly pristine looking.

Don't try this without a good second opinion. 

Maybe a quick drop of vinegar followed by a thorough rinse would uncover enough detail ?

On 1/20/2021 at 10:00 AM, yardrockpaleo said:

Could it be something like this? Ostracods have been found there. Quoting the Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument Geologic Resources Evaluation Report,

"According to Meyer (2003), invertebrates other than insects and spiders at Florissant include a species of ostracod (Cypris florissantensis [mussel shrimp])" 

@LabRatKing, you're the freshwater expert. Does the above fossil look like an ostracod to you?

ostracod.jpg

It’s no ostracod fossil I’ve ever seen. I’d lean more towards a predaceous beetle larvae or hellgrammite. From the images and the scale, I’d lean towards a predacious beetle larva given what appears to be a well segmented thorax and lots of hard spiky parts...though some very careful prep might reveal more details for better diagnostics.

• I found this Informative 2

On 1/21/2021 at 2:46 PM, LabRatKing said:

It’s no ostracod fossil I’ve ever seen. I’d lean more towards a predaceous beetle larvae or hellgrammite. From the images and the scale, I’d lean towards a predacious beetle larva given what appears to be a well segmented thorax and lots of hard spiky parts...though some very careful prep might reveal more details for better diagnostics.

Thanks, that sounds about right. So how exactly would you guys recommend prepping this? @Rockwood said a drop of vinegar and then a thorough rinse, any more tips?

I would personally leave it as is.  If you try to prep it, be prepared to completely obliterate it if the technique doesn't work.  Like I said earlier, practice on a less interesting specimen.  

Insects can be very difficult to prep and you would certainly need a microscope to work under.  I am not sure there is more of this thing to be found by prepping.   

With the Florissant shale Ive seen you either have a good split or have to take off a few layers with a small blade. This one may just be poorly preserved. 

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Yeah, I think I'll leave it as is, labeled 'probable predaceous beetle larva'. I'm not sure there is more to prep either.

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 months later...

That looks like a dragon- or damsel fly larva, though the shape reminds me more of an ant lion.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 9:51 PM, LiasEpsilon said:

That looks like a dragon- or damsel fly larva, though the shape reminds me more of an ant lion.

Yeah, me too! Antlions have been found up there, but not the larvae. And I'd expect more prominent jaws.

I’m still thinking along the lines of a predaceous diving beetle larvae:

92881075-D8DB-4BFB-8493-84387326DB65.jpeg

then again, it could be a Reaper...

990055C4-E4B8-44FA-8499-D919221A3A06.jpeg

Edited by LabRatKing
  • Enjoyed 1