Keichousaurus - Real? Fake?

StephimentaryRocks

Hi everyone!

I've always had a love of paleontology and been fossil-hunting as a child (I've found mainly plant fossils, some incomplete trilobites, some unknown fragments of bone). The fossils I've found were usually incomplete and very weathered by the elements, but it was very rewarding knowing that I was holding a piece of real prehistoric history. I've always been fascinated by dinosaurs and other prehistoric reptiles, but never had the pleasure and luck of finding one "in the wild". So of course I took the natural route of going online! I'm very very inexperienced in terms of actually purchasing fossils, and I know that there is always the possibility of fakes, even with the most common/plentiful fossil. Any tips would be greatly appreciated as I venture out into the unfamiliar world of fossil-purchasing.

I'm interested in adding a Keich into my collection. I came across these 2 Keichousaurus listings, and I'm wondering if they are genuine or fake? And if they are real, if they are "good/decent" specimens in terms of prep, quality, and any other factors that I should be aware of?

k2.jpg

k1.jpg

k3.jpg

k4.jpg

k5.jpg

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

h4.jpg

h5.jpg

I'm no expert on fakes but both of these look real to me. The first one has been glued back together at the crack where the tail looks mismatched. That's common for these. It looks like a decent prep otherwise. I've certainly seen worse. The second one looks quite nice. I've read that's it is very difficult to fake the teeth with paint and these look good and natural. It looks like pretty good preparation.

Agree that both look real. It should also be noted that the first one has been prepared from the ventral side, while the second has been prepared from above. Not the best prep on these, but DEFINITELY not the worst.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Thanks for the help, everyone! I'm glad that both of these so far seem to be authentic. It should be noted that both of are coming from China. Is that an issue? From what little I know of, isn't it a big no-no to export vertebrate fossils out of China? Or has that changed recently? 

On 21/01/2021 at 1:00 PM, StephimentaryRocks said:

Thanks for the help, everyone! I'm glad that both of these so far seem to be authentic. It should be noted that both of are coming from China. Is that an issue? From what little I know of, isn't it a big no-no to export vertebrate fossils out of China? Or has that changed recently? 

Strictly speaking, yes it is illegal to export vertebrate fossils out of China

Unofficially speaking however, it shouldn't be an issue because Keichousaurus numbers in the tens of thousands with countless more still waiting to be uncovered. The Chinese authorities are more concerned about rare dinosaur skeletons than a common Keich

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!