sidetrax

I dug up a log in my backyard, I would love to know if it is petrified wood.

fossil_size.jpg

Edited by sidetrax
added photo

We live in east texas, on lake bob sandlin. our house backs up to the lake, I saw a piece of this log sticking out after I cleared a bunch of vegetation from the yard. We have had small pieces found all of the place but never anything very large. this is the biggest piece I found so far. I think my husband would like me to find out what it is before I dig up anymore yard. Thanks.

fossil1sm.jpg

fossil2_sm.jpg

fossil4_sm.jpg

fossil7.jpg

Edited by sidetrax
additional info

Welcome from Colorado, if it is heavy for its size it’s most likely petrified and if it floats on water it is not

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Looks like a petrified tree trunk to me.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Looks clearly like petrified wood ( that is assuming it is mineralized). Petrified wood in east Texas is not uncommon. What type of wood is beyond my abilities.

is it Palm wood?

Does it have value?

can I make things, jewelry and such out of it.

Should I dig up more?

thanks!!!

Edited by sidetrax
additional info

It is not palm wood.

We do not provide monetary valuations on the Fourm, per our Rules. (It is beyond our abilities to do so via photograph, so we ask that you do not ask.)

You could make things out of it.  How it looks polished up, or when shaped or carved, will determine whether you will want to. 

As to digging up more - it is entirely up to you.  :) 

EDIT: TOPICS MERGED

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Hello from east Texas

That does not appear to be gemstone quality petrified wood so I doubt you could polish it or make jewelry out of it. However, for those who are interested in paleontology like us, it is a very cool find. 

If you want to have an approximate evaluation of the piece, go to online fossil selling websites and look for pieces of similar size and quality. As Fossildude said, the forum does not provide evaluations.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Nice one... I would hate to break/slice it up. Of course it's normal with pet wood to slice a chunk off to get a look at the rings, with a good lapidary rock saw, for identification or display purposes, but if you've got the room it makes a nice display piece as is.

2 minutes ago, sidetrax said:

Should I be looking for other things in the same area?

Is the lake lower than normal? Rumor has it your lake has a lot of native American artifacts that may be found along the shoreline area.

No not low actually 1 or 2 feet high, I have read the same about artifacts, but haven’t seen anything. My neighbor has an amazing glass case full of very cool bowls, knives and such, told me they found all the stuff along time ago, on some of there property, but it was hard work digging deep for it. I kayak a lot around the lake, but no such luck on finding anything. 

Have found a lot of cool fossils, lake grapevine & fossil creek under 114. 

I won’t break it up, found like 10 big chunks all from the same area. I love digging in the dirt and finding cool stuff. I would love to be a little more educated about what I am doing. We have 5 lake lots over here to dig in, my other 1/2 thinks I’m kinda crazy. Oh well hu. Cool to see I’m not the only one digging in the yard.

Please dig up the whole thing .  I don’t know what you could do with it but it is just too nice to leave half buried. Use it as a low bench in your garden if nothing else. Or give it to a local university museum or parks department 

You might consider protecting it from moisture and frost action. It appears to be prone to fragmenting due to weathering.