Yorkshire Ammonite ID

Microraptorfan

Hi I visited the Yorkshire coast and found several different ammonites, doe anyone here have an ID for them?

20210121_105203.jpg

Possibly, but it depends on location. There are some Callovian ammonites from south of the main Lias exposures that are very similar.

Tarquin

Hello,its a alligaticeras alligatum callovien stage,best regards

• I found this Informative 1

J collecting only fossils since 30 years old,ammonites,heteromorphe ammonite,crabs,fish trilobit, sea urshins, mammals, etc...J am married . Sorry for my enghish

14 minutes ago, herve said:

Hello,its a alligaticeras alligatum callovien stage,best regards

That's a good bet. Do we need a venter shot and horizon to be sure?

Tarquin

Nice finds! Personally I disagree with the first one being Alligaticeras, in pictures I've seen of them the living chamber is much larger compared with the rest of the ammonite that in this example. Furthermore, both Mulgrave and Runswick are Toarcian and Pliensbachian rather than Callovian, almost certainly from the Whitby Mudstone Formation. Alligaticeras is known further south than this around Scarborough. I think it is closer to Dactylioceras ?commune which are common at these sites. The second specimen is more confidently D. commune, the third is Hildoceras possibly bifrons, The fourth with the spines is Peronoceras but I'm unsure of the species and the last I think is Cleviceras (also called Eleganticercas).

For Yorkshire ammonites the blog Andysfossils (https://andysfossils.com/) is a fantastic resource for identification with clear pictures. 

Hopefully this helps

Benton

• I found this Informative 1

31 minutes ago, BentonlWalters said:

Nice finds! Personally I disagree with the first one being Alligaticeras, in pictures I've seen of them the living chamber is much larger compared with the rest of the ammonite that in this example. Furthermore, both Mulgrave and Runswick are Toarcian and Pliensbachian rather than Callovian, almost certainly from the Whitby Mudstone Formation. Alligaticeras is known further south than this around Scarborough. I think it is closer to Dactylioceras ?commune which are common at these sites. The second specimen is more confidently D. commune, the third is Hildoceras possibly bifrons, The fourth with the spines is Peronoceras but I'm unsure of the species and the last I think is Cleviceras (also called Eleganticercas).

For Yorkshire ammonites the blog Andysfossils (https://andysfossils.com/) is a fantastic resource for identification with clear pictures. 

Hopefully this helps

Benton

Yes, Port Mulgrave or Runswick Bay rules out Callovian. Locality is so important!

Tarquin