Is this a fossil I found on a piece of bedrock?

Devonboy

I am brand new to fossils and this forum.. and just dug a large boulder up in the garden which is full of bedrock like this. Is this a leaf?

20210121_164342_008.jpg

Screenshot_20210121-182911_WhatsApp.jpg

I can’t see anything fossiliferous in this image. Could you do a closeup photo of the “leaf.”

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

No fossils for me, either.   :shakehead:

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I can understand why you are seeing a "leaf".

There is indeed a pattern of "veins". But this veins are geological in origin. The rock has cracked a long time ago and the cracks filled with more resistant stuff than the surrounding material. Upon weathering, this results in raised "veins". What your are seeing in your rock is so-called "boxwork" structure - in its making:

Boxwork (link to wikipedia)

So no fossil, but a geological phenomenon.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

Hi All thanks for the replies. I checked the box work out which tend to seem straighter, consistent and continue across the rock in the area. We have dug out a lot of this bedrock (in fact the farm walls were created in the 18th Century using it  too) But this is the first formation like this I have seen in multiple digs - not for fossils but for smallholding, poly tunnel etc. I managed to haul this out of the ground from my compost bay...lol and the pattern is only on the underside).  But interestingly these veins seems to be bound (like a large leaf) and not continue.

I will keep an eye on it and perhaps as suggested take better pics. We are about to excavate 300m of 1.2m x 1.2m trenches for ground source heat - so should see a lot of bedrock come out!!

Appreciate the feedback.

Best regards