First time to Big Brook!

A.C.

Tuesday this week (1/19/2021) I headed over to Big Brook Preserve after reading up on it on this forum and other sites. Made for a cold day in the water but ran across some other fossil hunters (both locals and out of staters like me.) 

I found a few neat teeth, mainly a few goblin shark teeth, as well as some crow shark teeth, and of course belemnites. Nothing spectacular compared to some posts but defiantly made my week! The locals were finding teeth up by the Boundary Rd. access (that is where I found mine) and I was finding tons of belemnites down by the Hillsdale Rd. entrance. The locals I ran into recommended going up towards a school that the brook runs through as they have found some bear claws there, they weren't sure if they were fossilized (over 10,000) or just really old and preserved by the creek. I did not have the chance to check that area out as I ran into them as I was finishing up for the day. 

Definitely worth your time if you are into shark teeth.

• I found this Informative 2

6 hours ago, Scylla said:

Were you screening or surface collecting? 

I found screening was more productive for the teeth but looking on the surface there were plenty of exposed belemnites and oysters. I found that staying in one spot and taking out in layers the larger pebbles and then working down to the finer screens worked the best. 

• I found this Informative 1

6 minutes ago, A.C. said:

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 7.33.51 PM.png

I think some of the teeth with more pronounced cusps in this pic may be mackerel shark teeth.

11 hours ago, Familyroadtrip said:

I think some of the teeth with more pronounced cusps in this pic may be mackerel shark teeth.

Thanks, I will take a closer look at them! Was my first time really looking at teeth so defiantly appreciate the help! 

1 hour ago, A.C. said:

Thanks, I will take a closer look at them! Was my first time really looking at teeth so defiantly appreciate the help! 

No problem! Looks like a good trip! If you’re looking for more shark teeth I’d recommend ramenessin, there are a lot more vertebrate fossils there, but less inverts.

1 hour ago, Scylla said:

That's a good belemnite haul for a first day!

That's only 1/3 of what I found Belemnit-wise. I left the majority of what I found for someone else to hopefully enjoy finding.

7 hours ago, Scylla said:

It's only a 3 hour drive for me, I'm on my way!:thumbsu::P

Do it! It was an hour and a half drive for me, I would just wait till its a little warmer unless you are super dedicated.... my hands were FROZEN!

• 6 months later...
On 1/21/2021 at 4:00 PM, A.C. said:

"The locals I ran into recommended going up towards a school that the brook runs through as they have found some bear claws there, they weren't sure if they were fossilized (over 10,000) or just really old and preserved by the creek. I did not have the chance to check that area out as I ran into them as I was finishing up for the day. "

Do you know what school? Upstream or down? The only school I see upstream is Marlboro High. Big Brook runs behind the playing fields, but it's quite a bit upstream. I stopped there briefly but didn't see much gravel, just mud.