Cosmopolitodus hastalis - Bite mark?

BellamyBlake

I have a 2.96" Cosmopolitodus hastalis from Beaufort County, South Carolina. It has a cut across the root. It looks similar to bite marks I've seen, however those have been on parts of the tooth that make sense like the blade. Is this a bite mark? If so, how would it get on the root?

Best,

Bellamy

1.jpg

I think that's a boring - it looks more like a cavity rather than a cut; closeups would be helpful. I would guess that bite marks could still happen on the root if the tooth managed to stay inside the mouth long enough after it fell out, though most bite marks I've seen were on the crowns.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Not to hijack the thread but I’ve been wondering what might have caused this indention in a big hastalis I recently found. Any ideas? 

83181B75-3FCE-4421-ACFB-B9086CCE8169.jpeg

715FA3E5-E76F-47F7-A512-8BF169B45482.jpeg

82F95F8C-5765-4E33-8AE8-20405E403378.jpeg

2 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

I think that's a boring - it looks more like a cavity rather than a cut; closeups would be helpful. I would guess that bite marks could still happen on the root if the tooth managed to stay inside the mouth long enough after it fell out, though most bite marks I've seen were on the crowns.

1 hour ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

I'm thinking boring as well but a closeup might help.

I have a few closeups, as close as I can get without it blurring up. Please let me know what you guys think.

20210122_162037.jpg

1 hour ago, BellamyBlake said:

I have a few closeups, as close as I can get without it blurring up. Please let me know what you guys think.

I'm thinking boring even more now. The irregularity of the cavity outline and the shallow end of it are pretty consistent with what I see with borings.

• I found this Informative 1

59 minutes ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

I'm thinking boring even more now. The irregularity of the cavity outline and the shallow end of it are pretty consistent with what I see with borings.

I'll go with that, I just didn't know bores could look like that haha. Thank you for the help!

3 minutes ago, BellamyBlake said:

I'll go with that, I just didn't know bores could look like that haha. Thank you for the help!

Sometimes scrapers and borers make for very interesting and varied fossils. Here's a shameless plug of a gorgeous scraped bone from a recent trip I did.

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Bails said:

Not to hijack the thread but I’ve been wondering what might have caused this indention in a big hastalis I recently found. Any ideas?

From the pics it looks like a potential pathology - happened when the tooth was being grown.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff