list of cervidae genera

Top Trilo

I have been searching for a list of cervidae genera or species, I have found a list of over 50 extant species but I haven't found much on extinct species. I saw they've been around for about 20 million years and know there has to be many more than the few Ive seen. My searching has only led me to extant species and about 5 extinct. Help would be much appreciated thanks :)

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Prehistoric_deer 

found this but it has Irish elk and Megaloceros separate :zzzzscratchchin: 

This is a good starting point and will continue to search

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

If you're looking for a comprehensive list you're probably going to be disappointed. Cervids have always been a subject of disagreement for taxonomists. It's messy, even for taxonomists. For example, try finding a straight answer at how many subfamilies exist. You won't even find a consistent number for extant Cervids. The best you'll find is a ballpark because of this. Most people agree Moschids are no longer Cervids but beyond that...

Some reading for you.

Here's a list of subfamilies and genera from one source. You may be able to get a better idea of species by searching by the genera.

Cervinae (Dama, Axis, Cervus, and Elaphurus), Hydropotinae (Hydropotes), Muntiacinae (Elaphodus, Muntiacus, and Megamuntiacus, and Odocoileinae (Odocoileus, Blastocerus, Ozotoceros, Hippocamelus, Mazama, Pudu, Alces, Rangifer, and Capreolus).

The Paper "Mitochondrial and nuclear phylogenies of Cervidae (Mammalia, Ruminantia). Systematics, morphology, and biogeography (C Gilbert 2006) is a good read but places Cervids into two subfamilies.

Download link

Hernandez Fernandez, M., E. Vrba. 2005. A complete estimate of the phylogenetic relationships in Ruminantia: a dated species-level supertree of the extant ruminants. Biological Reviews, 80: 269–302.  This supports the tree traditional subfamilies. Good read.

Download link

The systematics of the Cervidae: a total evidence approach (N Heckeberg 2020)

This recent paper tries to tackle both extant and extinct Cervids with a total evidence approach. Bold.

Link to online article

In summary I can't answer your question but I doubt even Cervid experts can as you will see if you choose to dive into the literature. There's a lot more but you can get a good idea (if you want to continue) using the literature cited on the attached papers.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks a lot Thomas, I will look through some of these when I have time, Im sure it will help a lot but as you said "It's messy".

1 hour ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

In summary I can't answer your question 

Oh, I don't know, I think you've made a pretty good job of it! :)

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png