Moroccan Fossils Seized.

Tidgy's Dad

1 hour ago, jpc said:

so, the laws in Morocco have changed?

No.

Just being enforced on this occasion.

The cultural heritage laws have been around for years. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 minutes ago, jpc said:

so, the laws in Morocco have changed?

That, or it's a way in which the law can be interpreted. I do recall there are national heritage laws in Morocco, but perhaps they are not clear cut on what is and isn't banned. So it might depend on the "expert" that evaluates the items in question. A geologist or archeologist in Morocco might view a spinosaurus tooth or trilobite differently than a paleontologist.

Even in the United States, you can have some bad run-ins dealing with legal domestically obtained specimens at the airport.

Sad as it may be, it is within their rights to execute the laws as they so interpret. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It is within their rights to do so, but I hope it doesn’t get too common place, not just for collector’s sake, but for the many thousands of people who make a living off of Morocco’s fossils. From what I know, some entire regions’ economies are based off of fossils.

• I found this Informative 2

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

1 hour ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

It is within their rights to do so, but I hope it doesn’t get too common place, not just for collector’s sake, but for the many thousands of people who make a living off of Morocco’s fossils. From what I know, some entire regions’ economies are based off of fossils.

Yup.

And it's increased since this article.

https://archive.aramcoworld.com/issue/200902/morocco.s.trilobite.economy.htm#:~:text=American geologist Douglas Shakel has,are often away from home.&text=“Mineral and fossil sales are,Morocco's economy%2C” he says.

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

5 minutes ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

Agreed. I am less concerned about the buyers as I am those who work tirelessly for poor pay under hard conditions in the villages where their entire economy depends on it.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

A Forum member just posted photos on FB of the outdoor Quartzsite Fossil Show fom Quartzsite, Arizona.  The show typically leads into the Tucson Show and offers good bargains.  He indicated that the Moroccan contingency was there and looking at the photos the usual fakes trilobites were there in mass quantities :D.  

hi

the new law allow you to own the fossils or minerals...in morocco but its for the moment forbidden to export without a survey of ministry of mine.

destroying everyday tons of vertebrates in phosphate quarry is legal, the people they think about law are afraid to take some smart way to save fossils and the employment of the people, the market exist only because foreign customers, lot of scientific publication belong to fossil market, so if we keep the law on is way, it will be soon no more people on a field, the fossil will be destroyed in mass ,in erosion of the desert or phosphates mines.

i have proposed to the mine ministry to let export the phosphates material, after be sure its nothing new for the Moroccan museums or university collections,

if its something new the mine ministry will buy from the dealer at the local price, and give the fossils to the national collections for scientist or local museums.

if its something " not rare", the mine ministry can give one authorization of export , and taxing the exporter, the money collected will be used for buying new specimens for the national collections. this way will filling the national collections with tons of fossils, allowing the Moroccans students to make publications about, without depending of the internationals researchers, and the local museums will exhibit the material for the inspiration of the youth Moroccans.

seems good ideas at the first view...but...

the national collection didn't exist really

the mine ministry is not allowed to make taxes or using the money even for the good

the Moroccans paleontologist never goes on a field without be associated with international teams, they have no fund for that

no official preparators or curators are able to dig, prepare, or mounting the specimens for the sciences or museums

no official fossils lab in morocco, all fossils published or prepared in a world come from privates preparators...

no national paleontology museum in morocco for the moment...( due to covid problems for the opening of the Azilal museum)

even some peoples with good ideas trying to refill the university collections with the Moroccans specimens studied in a world, this fossils will be not for the public view

international team of scientist come on a field in morocco, they have no time, so they digg, in some place,take some bones, publish them, and everybody is happy...but after more than 30 years on a field, i see so much complete material, skeletons or skulls, i ask myself...why after 1927 to actual time, after all this visitors coming from the world, all this studies, why Moroccans scientist  are not the top publisher of the world ?, why this beautiful tourist destination didn t exhibit the skeletons of dinosaurs or all this incredible diversity of Moroccans fossils?, that will create employments and developing the local economy, why the internationals publications rarely describe some complete skeletons or skulls ? they are abundant in a field..

all the customs stories about some smugglers , and the international indignation for some bones or teeth or fake skulls , its just the noise covering the real shame of the international or local scientist , never trying to make really developing Moroccans museums but just playing the withe knight with great indignation when somebody, somewhere,save the fossils but make money with them, nobody shame to not find a solution real where everybody will be more than happy, museums ,local economy,scientist , proudness to be Moroccan and giving a chance to the future generation of kids to admire the treasure of this beautiful country.

but that need new visions, some people think fossils are rare...fossilization is a rare process, but when that happen its in huge number of specimens, the geographical situation of the country is important too, example in  morocco we have large exposure of rocks , allowing the researchers to make more finds, when you understand that, the base of museum material or scientific material is abundant, so what we miss is a organization that will find a way to organize , the construction of locals museums, building a local structure where local economy and protection of the scientific specimens are in synergy...

but at the end, it s not my country , I'm just guest here, i can said my point of view, but Morocco will find is own way to surprising the world and dint need another smart   foreigner  advising  them what to do.

• I found this Informative 9

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...