Where's Your Carboniferous Plant Material From?

Plantguy

That's right... the crust under the Bay has always been there more or less, since at least the Proterozoic.

I assume most paleomaps include some guesswork with some of the land areas needing a "here be dragons" notation. The northern Canada part in particular with this map. :)

By the way, this is the map that I started from and added my own artistic interpretation. It is one of the many well-done maps by Dr. Ron Blakey.

One part of what I did was take the outline of present geography and move them around until they fit nicely together like puzzle pieces.

Many parts may or may not be accurate but overall it shows one possible scenario.

Edited by Stocksdale

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

I like that guy's mapping... He pays attention to detail and considers all the latest work in the area.. Far as I can tell he doesnt draw lines where they shouldn't be, etc. For example, some of the older maps would show the full outline of BC including the shoreline out into the ocean where none of it existed yet! The only trouble then is it's hard to tell, without labels, where certain things were at a given time. I'd like to see a computer program that people can download and manipulate that can animate everything that is known of paleogeography back into the Precambrian... for instance you could plug in a time in m.y.a. or an age like 'Upper Santonian' and progress forward, backward by say million year increments, etc. Rather than just being given snapshots of 50my or 10my or whathaveyou. If there are uncertainties, they could be corrected in future versions when that data becomes clearer. It would probably take a lot of work to do it right from the data -and you would need access to all the data- rather than fudging things (ie. don't just take the 50my snapshots and 'morph' one into the other, that never works like I think it should)

There is a free iPad app that was done by Hughes Medical. That gives you the whole globe that you can rotate around and zoom in a bit. You can go through incremental time periods back to the pre-cambrian on it. And animate it to watch the moving land masses. Very nice program. They also have an android version.

http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/earthviewer

Edited by Stocksdale
  • I found this Informative 1

Is it only for iPads? I only have a desktop.

Looks like it is a Mac program.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A small contribution to this wonderfull thread . . .

A small fragment of Dicroidium Odontopteroides, from Dinmore, Queensland, Australia,

post-15697-0-87070200-1416699423_thumb.jpg

Cool. It's great seeing examples from Australia. Very unique since they were isolated from the bulk of the coal forests.

Still a work in progress. Here it is with Nova Scotia shifted northward and parts of Canada rotated in toward Hudson Bay. And Pennsylvania area flattened into more of a coastal plain.

attachicon.gifcarboniferous.jpg

Cool stuff Paul! Regards, Chris

A small fragment of Dicroidium Odontopteroides, from Dinmore, Queensland, Australia,

Hey Kevin, neat plant fossil find. You got me wondering about the Dicroidium ID...Isnt that a Triassic plant? Do you know what formation that is from? Regards, Chris

I wonder if anyone has info about Carboniferous in South America?

We do get a whole lot of Psaronius and Tietea wood material from the Permian of Brazil. (see it somewhat frequently on eBay and keep thinking about buying some.)

I assume the southern part of South America would have been glaciated, right. But from the map, one might think the coal forests would have extended over the northern part.

Edited by Stocksdale

I wonder if anyone has info about Carboniferous in South America?

We do get a whole lot of Psaronius and Tietea wood material from the Permian of Brazil. (see it somewhat frequently on eBay and keep thinking about buying some.)

I assume the southern part of South America would have been glaciated, right. But from the map, one might think the coal forests would have extended over the northern part.

Look for publications by Archangelsky.

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Thanks. Funny that when I put "archangelsky nothorhacopteris" in Google image search the first thing that pops up is your example from one of the very first posts of this topic nearly five years ago :) Maybe we've come full circle.

Edited by Stocksdale

A small fragment of Dicroidium Odontopteroides, from Dinmore, Queensland, Australia,http://www.thefossilforum.com/uploads/monthly_11_2014/post-15697-0-87070200-1416699423.jpg

Not familiar with Australia. Is this and the New South Wales Carboniferous material related in some respects? Edited by Stocksdale

thankyou Stocksdale, and Plantguy, thanks for highlighting the fact my photo contribution to this thread isn't carbonifertous,

i admit i got carried away with all the fantastic photos that are included in this conversation, and didn't think before posting.

Yes, my specimen is Triassic, i bought a stack of different sized plates from another collector,

Gotta love all the plant fossils !

cheers,

kevin

thankyou Stocksdale, and Plantguy, thanks for highlighting the fact my photo contribution to this thread isn't carbonifertous,

i admit i got carried away with all the fantastic photos that are included in this conversation, and didn't think before posting.

Yes, my specimen is Triassic, i bought a stack of different sized plates from another collector,

cheers,

kevin

Hey Kevin, cool--you are fine. I dont think I have any Triassic plant material and glad to see some whatever thread it shows up in. There was quite a bit of participation in this thread over the years and there very well could be other non-Carb material in here...my memory is crappy sometimes and other times it works pretty good! I do know I have some Permian Glossopteris material from Australia that I purchased some time ago and posted some pictures and honestly I dont remember where that shows up in the forum.. Keep collecting!

Regards, Chris

cheers,

kevin

You could consider reposting your material here, if you like.

Thanks. Funny that when I put "archangelsky nothorhacopteris" in Google image search the first thing that pops up is your example from one of the very first posts of this topic nearly five years ago :) Maybe we've come full circle.

Full circle indeed! Note though, my Nothorhacopteris specimens came from Australia. Unfortunately, I do not (yet) have any South American Carboniferous material in my collection.

I've spent some time updating my map to flesh out Gondwanaland a bit. Added the Australia site and threw in a couple South American locations where similar plants are found. I've attempted to included the Orogenies in Chile and Australia. And added glaciers roughly where they would go.

post-10955-0-26269200-1417203457_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stocksdale

I've spent some time updating my map to flesh out Gondwanaland a bit. Added the Australia site and threw in a couple South American locations where similar plants are found. I've attempted to included the Orogenies in Chile and Australia. And added glaciers roughly where they would go.

attachicon.gifcarboniferousmap.jpg

Cool map, and thanks for the effort.

One (general) question about the base map.... Why did they stick Iceland between Britain and Denmark? The North Sea is a submerged portion of the Eurasian continent, while Iceland is a relatively recent construct over a hotspot on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Good point on Iceland. It's a work in progress :)

attachicon.gifcarboniferousmap.jpg

Looking good..

I still think the current-day lines should not be included in places where the rock did not exist yet or wasn't present in that location. Then if you end up with pieces of countries that would be unrecognizable to the viewer, you could just label them. I know it's only a rough thing, but when I see for example an outline of Vancouver Island, I assume that's where VI was at that time but I'm pretty sure VI wasn't actually in the location shown on your map at that time (who knows where it was? As far as I know it was out further into the ocean, either north or south from its current position relative to the continent)... Minor details perhaps if the relevant part of your map are the locations you pinpoint, but for a general-interest map you'll need to pay attention to these details!

Also, wasn't Madagascar attached further down the coast of Africa?

Edited by Wrangellian