Petrified wood encased in segmented clay(?) ID needed

SamiCG

Not really petrified wood, but definitely a plant fossil. It appears to be either a pith cast, or an external mold, in a really cool looking concretion.

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Not really petrified wood, but definitely a plant fossil. It appears to be either a pith cast, or an external mold, in a really cool looking concretion.

Thank you Rockwood!!

Nice specimen, indeed.

The concretion itself is an ironstone concretion, mainly composed of the iron mineral siderite (FeCO3). This mineral weathers / oxidizes to brown iron hydroxides ("limonite", roughly FeO(OH)) or red iron oxide (hematite, Fe2O3). Typical and indicative for siderite concretions is the conchoidal spalling due to volume loss during weathering.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 3

11 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Nice specimen, indeed.

The concretion itself is an ironstone concretion, mainly composed of the iron mineral siderite (FeCO3). This mineral weathers / oxidizes to brown iron hydroxides ("limonite", roughly FeO(OH)) or red iron oxide (hematite, Fe2O3). Typical and indicative for siderite concretions is the conchoidal spalling due to volume loss during weathering.

Franz Bernhard

FranzBernhard, I appreciate this immensely.  This explanation is much more informative than it looks. I love learning this way. ☺️

Thank you so much to all who have responded thus far. So much easier to learn as an adult sometimes. ☺️ My rock hound has been collecting rocks since he had pants with pockets and I have always wanted to log and confirm best I can to make him a proper collection or get close to it. You all are informative so much so I don’t need a geology degree to understand and I truly appreciate that. I love the hunt I have been on these last couple days. Your responses have lead me on some fascinating information.  I am so glad I found this forum. 

• I found this Informative 1

9 hours ago, SamiCG said:

Thank you so much to all who have responded thus far. So much easier to learn as an adult sometimes. ☺️ My rock hound has been collecting rocks since he had pants with pockets and I have always wanted to log and confirm best I can to make him a proper collection or get close to it. You all are informative so much so I don’t need a geology degree to understand and I truly appreciate that. I love the hunt I have been on these last couple days. Your responses have lead me on some fascinating information.  I am so glad I found this forum. 

Your comment is highly appreciated, thank you!

Franz Bernhard