Need help identifying this Florida Fossil

Gregory Kruse

Hello,

I found this gastropod along the Sanibel Causeway in Ft. Myers, FL.  They were in a pile of shells being used for landscaping so I presume that the sediments came from a nearby quarry of ?Pleistocene age.  Can someone help me verify and identify this fossil?  Family Muricidae? More challenges to come in future posts!Thank youGastropod3.thumb.jpg.8dccdc7057ced4ea2ed1cb02c1dd6e7b.jpgGastropod2.thumb.jpg.09912b14173ef863bb2057a867acfba0.jpgGastropod.thumb.jpg.478ff24f1d63bad9de1ba2dde4ebaddd.jpgGastropod4.thumb.jpg.7743e2709571c9643d6a928a4c5bdc8d.jpg

Does the bottom tip look to be fracture off? If not, consider Hespristernia or Calotrophon. Otherwise, maybe Fusinus with the bottom fractured off. These are guesses at best!! 

Mike

Thank you for the possibilities.  Yes, the bottom tail appears to be broken off and so therefore, I bet it is Fusinus.

I did find Fasciolaria scalarina that is from the Caloosahatchee. It is larger than  Hespristernia or Calotrophon and may be the best possibility. MikeR will know for sure. Google search MikeR's Gastropods of the Tamiami and Gastropods of the Caloosahatchee. Most of the answers to your other posts can be found there!!! 

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

It belongs to Fasciolariidae; maybe immature Horse Conch, Triplofusus giganteus.

• I found this Informative 2

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain