Whatisit Marine fossil

Shellseeker

Last Thursday, found a bunch of reef type fossils in the Peace River...  Sort while watching the NFL today.

Here are a few of the smaller items:

IMG_6992.thumb.JPEG.283ec90ecab055cce8af1873170d5624.JPEG

A ray denticle, a tapir cap, cypress wood,  and ....

IMG_7034Ecrop.thumb.jpg.a0a4c7c2bfe96087dd1004f118b2f36e.jpgUnknownCrop.JPG.4fc19ef000e0ef915f8c9f4a14c8b3a8.JPGIMG_7039Ecrop.thumb.jpg.94137a31d10b54e024003719695e15a0.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Looks like the mold of a partial echinoid created by an encrusting tube worm.

• I found this Informative 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Looks like the mold of a partial echinoid created by an encrusting tube worm.

Agree John that it very likely is a mold that includes a tube worm. The patterns on the Echinoid or sand dollar seems relatively unusual. It seems like the valleys between the ridges have intersecting "teeth".

I have found numerous echinoids and sand dollars that do not have matching sections.  I am wondering if anyone can identify any matching echinoids that would exist in SW Florida and with that identification possibly date the layer it came from.

IMG_7034Ecrop2.JPG.ab0025948d5bc42288b782f90a8689a7.JPGIMG_7034Ecrop1.jpg.e740a318b57ef6022061f0c99e86bb1a.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

5 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

I have found numerous echinoids and sand dollars that do not have matching sections. 

Hey @Shellseeker could it potentially be a partial remains of specifically a starfish ? .. I'm assuming they are rare in Florida. 

(which I realized now are Echinoderms so related to echinoids) *oof*

CyyC8s8WgAABrA8.thumb.jpg.17edae9bcc76b5164c903417bb1271d4.jpg

11 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Hey @Shellseeker could it potentially be a partial remains of specifically a starfish ? .. I'm assuming they are rare in Florida. 

I like this answer better.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

6 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

I actually do not know if they are rare in the Florida fossil record.  I see plenty of modern starfish, but it never occurred to me that they would fossilize. Certainly this is the 1st time I can recall both finding and identifying a fossil starfish!!   :tiphat:

6 hours ago, JohnJ said:

I like this answer better.  ;)

Sorry for the confusion , John. I just was not clear on which part of the fossil had grabbed my attention.

So , let me now try to find a little more about fossil starfish.... @MikeR

I know little about starfish as I have seen so few of them.  Roger will most definitely want it.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

I actually do not know if they are rare in the Florida fossil record.

The Sun Star was the only one I could find readily from Florida when I ran my initial search.  I've personally never seen anything like it while trolling the internet on Florida fossils. 

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/100years/sun-star-fossil/

Cheers,

Brett

Instead of tube worms surrounding the starfish, I think these are casts of Cliona (boring sponge). I also think the starfish is an internal cast. The photo Brett shared is a cut open starfish. I think a cast of the cut open starfish in the photo would be a good match. Very neat fossil.

• I found this Informative 2

34 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Very neat fossil.

Ditto, Sometimes I find the expected. The best times are when I find something that I can not identify.  :fistbump:

One of the 3 photos from Brett's link

sea-star-fossil-side-close1.thumb.jpg.7accb921a5e666fdbe9b216df220bd9f.jpg