Earendil

Ok, so here's the options for what the 'seaweed' might be:

1. Seaweed/algae. Could algae survive in the ecosystem? @LabRatKing, in a freshwater environment that ranged around the mid 50's Fahrenheit, could algae of this size grow? 

2. Trace fossil. Trace fossils have been found at Florissant, but it just looks plant-ish to me. It could be tracks or something, maybe.

3. Microbial mat. This one is pretty outrageous, but who knows?

4. Grass. The only grass found at Florissant is Stipa Florissantii, but only the seeds are ever found, and it is a very primitive grass.

5. Mineralization. It has enough structure that I don't think it's mineralization.

So, it's probably either algae or trace fossil... Anybody have any ideas?

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes

30 minutes ago, yardrockpaleo said:

Ok, so here's the options for what the 'seaweed' might be:

1. Seaweed/algae. Could algae survive in the ecosystem? @LabRatKing, in a freshwater environment that ranged around the mid 50's Fahrenheit, could algae of this size grow? 

2. Trace fossil. Trace fossils have been found at Florissant, but it just looks plant-ish to me. It could be tracks or something, maybe.

3. Microbial mat. This one is pretty outrageous, but who knows?

4. Grass. The only grass found at Florissant is Stipa Florissantii, but only the seeds are ever found, and it is a very primitive grass.

5. Mineralization. It has enough structure that I don't think it's mineralization.

So, it's probably either algae or trace fossil... Anybody have any ideas?

I'm not too familiar with the paleobotany at Florrisant, as I find the insects so fascinating. While large algae is a possibility, and your specimen does resemble known algal fossils from other location( including some I have found myself), I'm not certain. I'll take a look in detail shortly...as I am actually prepping some algae cultures at the moment.

I should add that these might be the "males cones" (strobilus) of a gymnosperm, but that is a serious reach.

Grasses might be a better guess.

• Thank You 1

7 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

I'm not too familiar with the paleobotany at Florrisant, as I find the insects so fascinating. While large algae is a possibility, and your specimen does resemble known algal fossils from other location( including some I have found myself), I'm not certain. I'll take a look in detail shortly...as I am actually prepping some algae cultures at the moment.

I should add that these might be the "males cones" (strobilus) of a gymnosperm, but that is a serious reach.

Grasses might be a better guess.

I would lean towards a monocot of some sort- grasses, reeds, the like.

I'm not certain of the scale of this specimen, but a large algae isn't very likely.

3 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

I would lean towards a monocot of some sort- grasses, reeds, the like.

I'm not certain of the scale of this specimen, but a large algae isn't very likely.

That's interesting. Grasses and reeds are pretty rare at Florissant. Definitely need to make a trip this weekend. The fossil is about 3 inches long.

I'll post some better pics later.

Ok, some better pics:IMG_6268.thumb.jpg.736103910b79e54e16cce6977e6780c7.jpg

IMG_6267.jpg

IMG_6269.jpg

3 hours ago, yardrockpaleo said:

Ok, some better pics:IMG_6268.thumb.jpg.736103910b79e54e16cce6977e6780c7.jpg

IMG_6267.jpg

IMG_6269.jpg

Yeah! Even with close ups, there is not enough detail to really be diagnostic. This could easily be algae, roots, ichnofossils, or grasses/reeds. However, given the level of preservation that area is known for, I would shy away from any plant, algae or root claim. I would chalk this one up to the ichnofossil category

2 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

Yeah! Even with close ups, there is not enough detail to really be diagnostic. This could easily be algae, roots, ichnofossils, or grasses/reeds. However, given the level of preservation that area is known for, I would shy away from any plant, algae or root claim. I would chalk this one up to the ichnofossil category

Well, I'm visiting Florissant this weekend, so I will probably have a solution then. :fingerscrossed:

• Enjoyed 1

10 minutes ago, yardrockpaleo said:

Well, I'm visiting Florissant this weekend, so I will probably have a solution then. :fingerscrossed:

I was going to stop there back in 2019, but the construction on 70 made me change my mind, so I went to Kemmmerer in Wyoming for those Green River fish. On the way back from Millard County, I decided to fulfill a childhood dream and visit Dinosaur N.M. and camp near Steamboat Springs up in the aspens as 70 was still a parking lot through most of the state. which was excellent except for all the tourists in RVs...:default_rofl: I was pretty exhausted after a solo week in the desert with trees, mosquitos, and marmots being a nice change.

This year however, I plan on making a stop in Denver and then hit up Florissant the next day, then perhaps see the sights and camp in the Canyon of the Ancients instead of driving straight through to Delta. Adds a day or two to my trip, but 15-16 hours straight on the road is as miserable as it sounds.

Then again, I may hit it on the way back. It really depends on what sort of construction/rockslide clearing is going on and pandemic status. I can either bypass Colorado on 80 and then fight the horrors of the 15 near Salt Lake City, or catch 76 into Denver, then nip down to 70. It also depends on how many times I get pulled over for random cannabis searches for having out of state plates and long hair.:headscratch:

1 hour ago, LabRatKing said:

I was going to stop there back in 2019, but the construction on 70 made me change my mind, so I went to Kemmmerer in Wyoming for those Green River fish. On the way back from Millard County, I decided to fulfill a childhood dream and visit Dinosaur N.M. and camp near Steamboat Springs up in the aspens as 70 was still a parking lot through most of the state. which was excellent except for all the tourists in RVs...:default_rofl: I was pretty exhausted after a solo week in the desert with trees, mosquitos, and marmots being a nice change.

This year however, I plan on making a stop in Denver and then hit up Florissant the next day, then perhaps see the sights and camp in the Canyon of the Ancients instead of driving straight through to Delta. Adds a day or two to my trip, but 15-16 hours straight on the road is as miserable as it sounds.

Then again, I may hit it on the way back. It really depends on what sort of construction/rockslide clearing is going on and pandemic status. I can either bypass Colorado on 80 and then fight the horrors of the 15 near Salt Lake City, or catch 76 into Denver, then nip down to 70. It also depends on how many times I get pulled over for random cannabis searches for having out of state plates and long hair.:headscratch:

Yeah, Green River is like Florissant on steroids... Eocene, better fossils more fish, better preservation... the list goes on. But I am patriotic, so I stick with Florissant. You should also check out Creede Formation, one of the Colorado Fossil Hunters' closely kept secrets. I want to see any cool stuff you find, and maybe I'll run into you at Florissant! Florissant's usually worth the drive, though, if you like leaves and bugs.

2 minutes ago, yardrockpaleo said:

Yeah, Green River is like Florissant on steroids... Eocene, better fossils more fish, better preservation... the list goes on. But I am patriotic, so I stick with Florissant. You should also check out Creede Formation, one of the Colorado Fossil Hunters' closely kept secrets. I want to see any cool stuff you find, and maybe I'll run into you at Florissant! Florissant's usually worth the drive, though, if you like leaves and bugs.

If you want nice leaves and be a patriotic Coloradan, try Douglas Pass on the other end of the state.  Great Green River leaves (no fish).  I have always wanted to try out Creede.    

2 minutes ago, jpc said:

If you want nice leaves and be a patriotic Coloradan, try Douglas Pass on the other end of the state.  Great Green River leaves (no fish).  I have always wanted to try out Creede.    

Never tried it, pretty far from Denver, but this summer I'll give it a go! 

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Yep Douglass Pass is on my list too. I’m good on fish... need plants!

• 6 months later...

I finally got around to sending an email to a Florissant Paleontologist regarding the 'seaweed lookin' thing', I've got my fingers crossed for him to be utterly baffled.:fingerscrossed::D PM me if anybody knows of some other experts who might be able to take a look. Thanks

Edited by yardrockpaleo

Well, I got a response back from Herb Meyer!  

Thank you for sending the excellent  photos of your interesting specimen. I think it is part of a plant. Evidence for that is in the black carbonized area that you can see along one small area of the specimen. Carbonization is a typical residue in plant fossils. It could possibly be part of a root structure. There is one species from Florissant that was described as Cyperacites (a fossil sedge root), and it has some similarity, but I also wonder if it might be the root of Typha (cattail), which might be expected on the lake bottom. You can look for modern images of Typha roots for comparison. Typha is known from fossil strap-like leaves at Florissant and it probably grew in the shallow water around the margin of the lake. The fossil roots have not been described, however, so that’s just one possibility for what your specimen might be. 

So cool! :egypt: I'm very happy with that answer! Just as I was at my wit's end with trying to figure it out myself, too:P

Here's a pic. It's small but it gets the point across. Cyperales root:

cyperacites.jpeg.6c450374001bd86039d7179f221c3512.jpeg

From here: https://flfo-search.colorado.edu/

Edited by yardrockpaleo