cf. Thanatotheristes tooth?

dinosaur man

Hi, a little while ago I bought this tooth.  It’s is from Kennedy Coulee right on the Montana/Alberta border and dates at around 79.5-78.2 million years, considering the age and locality could it be Thanatotheristes?  Or if not a new species?  As Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus don’t appear until at least another 2 or so million years, and it’s to Northern to be anything else.  What is everyone’s thoughts?  And thank you for any reply’s, @Troodon @LordTrilobite @Runner64

EB1FF0D8-6F3A-488A-ACA9-319D818E901C.jpeg

Locations given are usually general approximations not sure you can date it..  Kennedy Coulee could be Judith River Fm. depending on where it was found.  It looks theropod  does it have serrations?  Size?

• I found this Informative 2

22 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Locations given are usually general approximations not sure you can date it..  Kennedy Coulee could be Judith River Fm. depending on where it was found.  It looks theropod  does it have serrations?  Size?

Yeah it was found in Kennedy Coulee, and there’s a paper on the date of the Coulee.  It is Judith River Formation, but that coulee also mixes in with Foremost and Oldman a little bit due to being so close to the border. Also it’s 3.8 cm and it has serrations which I’ll get some photos of.

That's good thanks, I think all you can say its an indeterminate tyrannosaurid.  Anything is possible but without knowing the exact location and studying /sampling the deposit who knows.  Again diggers use popular nearby locations to unload teeth

• I found this Informative 1

35 minutes ago, Troodon said:

That's good thanks, I think all you can say its an indeterminate tyrannosaurid.  Anything is possible but without knowing the exact location and studying the deposit who knows.  

I’ll see if I can get the exact locality as I’m friends with the seller, and here’s the serrations, it’s the best photo I could get due to there size and I’m only using my iPhones camera.

2FAF7FF8-085E-43C4-9D1D-4FE39F8FCD04.jpeg

53 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I know you want an answer but without sampling the deposit it was found it not much more you can say.

Yeah hopefully it’s possible I can at least get a little bit more information, as I feel like it’s something special due to its location and age.  But thank you so much for all the help!

@Troodon I recently asked and learned the tooth was from Fox Crossing, Kennedy Coulee, which means it’s Judith River Formation and that exact area is equivalent to the Taber Coal Zone and the Herronton Sandstone of the Foremost Formation.

5 hours ago, Troodon said:

Okay.It does change any of my previous comments 

I was replying to when you wrote this, as now we know the exact age and location 

On 1/26/2021 at 10:25 AM, Troodon said:

That's good thanks, I think all you can say its an indeterminate tyrannosaurid.  Anything is possible but without knowing the exact location and studying /sampling the deposit who knows.  Again diggers use popular nearby locations to unload teeth