My best Eocene/ Miocene New Jersey Fossil Hunt!

kmac

I went out on a fossil hunt last Thursday to one of the streams I like to hunt at. It was only around 28 degrees F when I arrived so I didn't have the highest hopes. I ended up having my best day both quality and quantity wise! I found my first New Jersey hemi as well as my first tiger shark tooth. Also found a really nice sized sand tiger as well as one that would have been a monster if it was whole. Hope you guys enjoy!!

BC333310-2AD4-454B-BB53-5456546899F0.JPG

E7DD2D9D-3086-4732-B842-F2739BE02CDA.JPG

63311407525__FFE4C1AB-DAFB-47EA-B956-011F599606A8.jpg

IMG_3859.JPG

• I found this Informative 10

The prevailing wisdom is that New Jersey's Cenozoic sites are much less productive than its Cretaceous ones. Your haul certainly disputes that and some of your finds are in really good condition as well. Congratulations. 

• I found this Informative 3

3 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

The prevailing wisdom is that New Jersey's Cenozoic sites are much less productive than its Cretaceous ones. Your haul certainly disputes that and some of your finds are in really good condition as well. Congratulations. 

Thank you! This is by far the best cenozoic day I have had in NJ. This is from about 6 hours worth of digging and sifting but totally worth it.

1 hour ago, kmac said:

Thank you! This is by far the best cenozoic day I have had in NJ. This is from about 6 hours worth of digging and sifting but totally worth it.

I am thinking about NJ in the few times I have been there,  mostly for blackjack and the beach.  I grew up in Connecticut on Long Island Sound.... I can not think of a single location in Connecticut where I might find Miocene shark teeth.

You have added to my knowledge base,   thanks... Nice finds.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Fine looking teeth! Must have taken you a long time to get all of them on your hand like that, but it does make for a good picture. 

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Neanderthal Shaman said:

Fine looking teeth! Must have taken you a long time to get all of them on your hand like that, but it does make for a good picture. 

Thank you! yeah it took much longer than I probably should have spent but it ends up looking good haha. Plus any time looking at /organizing fossils is time well spent lol