Quartzsite vender locations?

Sjfriend

Could use some locals knowledge. I'm in Phoenix and looking at making a run to Quartzsite to look for some trilobites to take home. I was there years ago but can't remember which area the fossil vendors are in? I've been mostly to the area north of the highway that is almost all "odd ball" stuff.

Thanks

Steve

I haven't been to Quartzsite in years.  In the 90's there were a couple of dinosaur bone dealers who also had Allosaurus teeth for sale.  You had to go all over the place to find people with rocks.  It was a giant flea market which was good that way too.

Did find a couple in the sorta short time I had. Snagged a couple decent real looking trilobites. Will be posting pictures on the ID page in a bit.

On 1/30/2021 at 2:27 PM, siteseer said:

I haven't been to Quartzsite in years.  In the 90's there were a couple of dinosaur bone dealers who also had Allosaurus teeth for sale.  You had to go all over the place to find people with rocks.  It was a giant flea market which was good that way too.

I got some excellent OEM VW  Type IV parts there one year...dinosaurs everywhere...

22 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

I got some excellent OEM VW  Type IV parts there one year...dinosaurs everywhere...

I picked up a really good mini tape measure for a buck - fits in a shirt pocket and is light.  If you can spend a day there, you're going to find something good at a good price even if it isn't a fossil.  I think I found a couple of good books there one year.

Definitely takes more then a couple days to look at all the vendor areas. Everything from junk to articulated fossils

I used to be one of those fossil dealers at what was called the PowWow back in the 90's.  Lots of dealers that but it was more like a giant garage sale.  You had to go and do lots of walking to find exactly what your looking for.   I did 3 more shows there in 2015 16 and 17.  Had a 6 foot square area and outsold my pal who had 8 tables!  But I had some really good quality fossils and he had what I would call 'Lots of fossil junk'.   You really have to walk around and look.  You will run into all kinds of stuff.  Good luck

RB

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 4:18 AM, RJB said:

I used to be one of those fossil dealers at what was called the PowWow back in the 90's.  Lots of dealers that but it was more like a giant garage sale.  You had to go and do lots of walking to find exactly what your looking for.   I did 3 more shows there in 2015 16 and 17.  Had a 6 foot square area and outsold my pal who had 8 tables!  But I had some really good quality fossils and he had what I would call 'Lots of fossil junk'.   You really have to walk around and look.  You will run into all kinds of stuff.  Good luck

RB

Hi RB,

I met Fossil Forum member PRK at Quartzsite sometime in the 90's.  I might have met you at some point.  Lots of stuff to look at.   There hasn't been a flea market here in exactly a year now.  I'm starting to freak out.

Jess

On 2/28/2021 at 8:32 PM, siteseer said:

I met Fossil Forum member PRK at Quartzsite sometime in the 90's. 

I believe that was Paul Kirkland?  I wonder whatever happened to him?

RB

On 3/2/2021 at 4:32 AM, RJB said:

I believe that was Paul Kirkland?  I wonder whatever happened to him?

RB

I didn't want to reveal his identity if it hasn't been already.  In any case, yeah, PRK was active here for a while.  I haven't seen him post in a while.

Jess