garyc

Camel?

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

It looks a lot like harry's middle phalanx belonging to a Tapir.  You might compare to his photos in the forum.

1 hour ago, fossilus said:

It looks a lot like harry's middle phalanx belonging to a Tapir.  You might compare to his photos in the forum.

I’m not thinking tapir or perrisodactyla. I found a similar bone a few years ago that Richard White identified as either beaver or capybara. Here’s a pic of both bones. The larger more robust one is what I found today. @Harry Pristis @Lorne Ledger

E580A4C7-D45C-4AE1-AAFE-84D8883C4C51.jpeg

Edited by garyc
  • I found this Informative 1

My first thought is tapir medial phalanx - but the distal end screams Llama.   The proximal concavity is awfully round which is leaning me towards tapir.

What are you thinking it is @garyc

Oh interesting, giant beaver could be a possibility - Castroides ohioensis    I have never personally found any capybara down there but I have found giant beaver material.  Partial tooth and partial incisor.  It does have a bit of a rodent look to it.

4 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

I'm pretty confident that this is a medial phalanx from a lamine camelid.  It is stream-worn, but the overall contours are right for camelid.

camel_composite_foot.JPG.d203c2620060e232ca2c34978426bde5.JPGpeace_asstF_bones_comp.JPG.05e3954ac1ba12e2c48612290319d131.JPG

I do see the similarity to camel medial. Harry, do you happen to have a picture of the proximal end? That’s what’s throwing me off. Mine is a perfectly smooth, concave surface

No, Gary, I don't have a more useful image.  I did take a couple of these bones in hand to compare with your image of the proximal end.  I don't have time at the moment to make an image. 

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

43 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

No, Gary, I don't have a more useful image.  I did take a couple of these bones in hand to compare with your image of the proximal end.  I don't have time at the moment to make an image. 

Thanks, Harry! I appreciate your assistance. Now, I question the id of the smaller as beaver. They really look identical, other than size. 

I'm looking at my copy of Osteology of Camelops LA county museum 1965. Yours looks very much like the picture of what would be the medial phalanx, and should have a concave articulation with the proximal phalanx, of which I have several. My proximal phalanx's show a convex, simple surface, that is just over an inch wide (1.1-1.4 inches).

My llama proximal phalanx's have an articulation surface that is between .6 and 1 inch wide.

• I found this Informative 2

You probably have found some of these, but the 3 on the right I believe to be Camelops, the 2 on the left llamas based on the tendon attachments. For some reason I find alot more proximal. (Probably because they are larger and easier to see).

20210127_152517-1-1.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, garyc said:

Thanks, Harry! I appreciate your assistance. Now, I question the id of the smaller as beaver. They really look identical, other than size. 

You can expect considerable individual variation in these homologous bones.  There are two genera of lamine camelids in the Pleistocene, but there are other camelids in the Florida Mio-Pliocene. 

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Here are some of my other camel phalanxes  and cannon  bones. The proximal phalanxes really do articulate well with these 2 medials. Thanks even for steering me in the right direction.

30B9989E-DD6E-49A4-8C2B-6D1C3910E9E3.jpeg

DD3AF732-F43F-46E8-99D1-6B8853D16D4E.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

On 1/26/2021 at 6:32 PM, hemipristis said:

Camel?

Looks like you were right all after all. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I’m bringing back this thread from the dead because of the recent post by @Sacha of a similar looking phalanx. The 2 bones I originally posted have very concave proximal surfaces.

Edited by garyc