Possible Ordovician Graptolite?

connorp

I found this small specimen in the Platteville Formation (Middle Ordovician) in Wisconsin. My first reaction was that it might be a graptolite fragment, especially as it looks to be preserved as a carbonaceous impression. However, I would appreciate a second opinion. Thanks!

IMG_2.thumb.jpg.c32fc942589c672e5b74034aba1e20f3.jpgIMG_1.thumb.jpg.a6fb62cf7edc753fdc926128fc176288.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

+ 1 (or would this be 3?) for chain coral.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I think the scale's wrong for a halysitid. It's only about 1cm across - here's about the same area of a Silurian Halysites

If it really is carbonaceous then a dendroid graptolite is likely though the pores are very crisp and it would be a beauty!

Or possibly it's a bryozoan, which was my first impression.

Halysites:

IMG_3990.jpeg.0e50cf2e6a599bfb8da3a7f70e369663.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

Tarquin

It does resemble a halysitid, but I didn't even consider it since I was under the impression these rocks (~455 mya) were too old for tabulates.

The overall branching pattern doesnt look like graptolite to me, also the preservation doesn't look carbonaceous, but that may be just the image.

5 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Let's call it Catenipora

The apertures are much too small - tho colony here is only 1cm across.

Catenipora corallites are about 0.6 - 1.2mm across. These are about 0.25mm. Also, there are the sections with double rows and the spacing is very uneven. 

601291133123f_Screenshot2021-01-28at10_24_42.png.f5585630570830428c726c3b288ad3a3.png

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

Tarquin

I'm going for bryozoan too now. A knowledgeable friend has pointed out that the apertures seem to rotate around the stems, rather than being on one surface. Also, there's a complex 3D arrangement of crossing over stems in the bottom area. Neither of these fits dendroid graptolite. Also, it doesn't look carbonaceous though of course photos can be deceptive.

• I found this Informative 4

Tarquin