Microraptorfan

This a Permian Gastropod I found in County Durham, at Ford Quarry. I have been using this guide http://www.limestonelandscapes.info/media/11163/Zechstein-Reef-Fossils-and-their-palaeoecology-WEB/pdf/ZechsteinReefFossilsWEB.pdf to try to determine its genus, if its possible. There are a few other disarticulated remains if this helps. Does anyone here know enough about Molluscs to help?

This is counted as Locality 2 in the guide, there are three possible genus, Yunnania, Naticopsis and Mourlonia. The gastropod is about 4cm in diameter at its widest point.

20210128_154737.jpg

Ive also noticed another fossil, here, could this be a nautiloid, they are known from the quarry?

20210128_174759.jpg

Yes the second fossil is a nautiloid.  It might be possible to suggest an ID if we could see it from other angles, especially showing a suture line.

The gastropod is I suspect not identifiable as we cannot see the shape of the shell (except very generally) or exterior ornament (ribs, spines, etc).

Don

Thanks, just wanted to verify it was a nautiloid. It would have to be Peripetoceras freiselbeni, that's the only recorded nautiloid from the quarry

• I found this Informative 1