wootwoot

I don't know if this has been addressed, but do you want to prepare fossil WITHOUT an airscribe or compressor? The Dremel 290 is bulky but there is an alternative: CH Hanson 50002. It acts like a mini jackhammer instead of rotating like most other rotary engravers on market. You can get 3600-7200 SPM (Stroke Per Minute). You can control the speed, and power by turning the knobs on the top. Super easy to use and I use it to prepare fish fossil. The stylus has a really small point too with diameter stylus 1/1/6" or .062 in and can be easily changed.

So you if you want to prepare fish fossils, without the need for air compressor a cheap alternative is the CH Hanson which cost around $65. I've been looking for an airscribe without the need for an air compressor and this works perfectly. It's not loud either. It's actually very quiet compared to an airscribe. It runs at a lower SPM but it works perfectly fine with softer matrix. An all electric "airscribe" without the hassle of an air compressor! The convenient of this is you can prepare fossil anywhere inside the house since it's not loud and did I mention no need for an air compressor? 

71hyzSMHgTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61fvqC6eV9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by wootwoot
removed an item
  • I found this Informative 6

The Hanson device looks very much like the ElectroStylus tool I have. That tool (no longer available, I think) is much more ergonomic than the Dremel engraver. The Hanson device appears the closest to an ElectroStylus replacement, I have seen.

Edit: In my experience the ElectroStylus/Hanson type device is a viable alternative for split layer fish. It is not capable of safely removing the fine coating remaining on 18" fish after most of the matrix is removed. An air abrasion tool is much better suited for that task. 

• I found this Informative 4

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Would it be possible to work White River burrow nodules/rodents?  Even if it is only to rough them in...  Generally use air abrasion or pin/scope for the last bit.  

Hi,

It works on its own ? Without a compressor ? That’s good news !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

23 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

It works on its own ? Without a compressor ? That’s good news !

Coco

Yes, it's an electronic scribe not air driven.

• I found this Informative 1

I was curious enough to purchase one.  I would hate to attempt to prepare anything large with it but it does seem serviceable for small White River pieces.  It certainly doesn't move matrix like an air tool.  I did notice the unit generates alot of heat so using it for an extended period would get uncomfortable.  Will keep trying things with it.