Attaching ivory

PrehistoricWonders

Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to Attach two pieces of ivory? I tried gluing, but it didn’t work well. I stabilized it with a 50/50 clear elmers/water mixture, and it’s pretty solid now, but I don’t know what to do because I still can’t glue it.

Moved to FOSSIL PREPARATION

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

5 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Moved to FOSSIL PREPARATION

My bad, thank you!

@Familyroadtrip Ivory is tough to repair due to its density. What type of glue did you use originally? The Elmer's and water will harden the outer layer of the piece but it doesn't penetrate well. How unstable was the piece originally?

The piece wasn’t to unstable, but I wanted to play it safe. I used a thin paleo bond glue. 

4 minutes ago, Familyroadtrip said:

The piece wasn’t to unstable, but I wanted to play it safe. I used a thin paleo bond glue. 

This should have bonded the ivory well. That's an odd one for sure. My next attempt would be with a slightly higher viscosity cyanoacrylate. You can help the bond by slightly dampening and wiping off the side that doesn't get the glue applied. The addition of a small amount of moisture drives the chemical reaction of the glue. Don't get it noticeably wet though; you will have a nasty white crust on the glue joint if you do.

• I found this Informative 1

Perhaps the cyano doesn't want to bond to the elmers? You might have been better off consolidating with a paleobond consolidate/stabilizer, and then using the cyano. But, as I have no experience with ivory and much (much much much much) less general prep experience, I will defer back to Kris @Ptychodus04.

3 hours ago, Fossilis Willis said:

Perhaps the cyano doesn't want to bond to the elmers? You might have been better off consolidating with a paleobond consolidate/stabilizer, and then using the cyano. But, as I have no experience with ivory and much (much much much much) less general prep experience, I will defer back to Kris @Ptychodus04.

I’ve ranted pretty long in the past about the downfalls of using white glue (Elmer’s and all other varieties) as a stabilizer. :P I have never tried to glue against it but the cyanoacrylate should bond to it. Often, cyanoacrylate failures are a result of inadequate moisture content on the surface being bonded.

I’ve had to repair bones that were replaced by gypsum that were so dry that the cyanoacrylate would never set.