Potential Ankylosaurian Osteoderm

PaleoNoel

I found this interestingly pitted piece of bone in Wyoming's Lance formation over the summer and my initial thoughts were ankylosaurian osteoderm. I've been wrong in the past with various Ceratopsid skull elements deceiving me, but I am hopeful to add this to my comparatively short list of remains from these living tanks. I'd appreciate any feedback from my fellow forum members.

Dimensions are about 8 cm in length, 5 cm in width, ~3 cm in depth.

IMG_6772.thumb.jpg.f77dffd3c3e3b95626778091eabfea5e.jpg

IMG_6773.thumb.jpg.e4329a32f8ad66ecfa3f2a6c5cf31d02.jpg

IMG_6774.thumb.jpg.34815d54350b55645bc1c0219b15a748.jpg

IMG_6775.thumb.jpg.3190192869fb0eeed3f0375bfc9ac8b3.jpg

on the other hand, I would say more  likely an osteoderm.  I have seen a lot of trike frill material, including a few complete ones, and do not recall seeing holes like this in them.  Flip side, I have seen a few ankylosaur scutes and none of them have holes either, but they do vary a lot.    

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

The number and size of the foramina would lean me away from this being an osteoderm but cannot be certain 

26 minutes ago, jpc said:

on the other hand, I would say more  likely an osteoderm.  I have seen a lot of trike frill material, including a few complete ones, and do not recall seeing holes like this in them.  Flip side, I have seen a few ankylosaur scutes and none of them have holes either, but they do vary a lot.    

19 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Let me add not saying it's Ceratopsian it's a chunk of bone

Thanks for your input! I remember after 2019's hunt in the dakotas I found this bizarre little piece which you thought could be ankylosaur. It has a different texture than the more recently found piece.

IMG_4517.thumb.JPG.3e94c4e80911a384494aeaa678601a56.JPG

If the bone from this summer is just an indeterminate bone chunk do you think the holes could be bored into it rather than being naturally pitted?

7 minutes ago, PaleoNoel said:

Thanks for your input! I remember after 2019's hunt in the dakotas I found this bizarre little piece which you thought could be ankylosaur. It has a different texture than the more recently found piece.

IMG_4517.thumb.JPG.3e94c4e80911a384494aeaa678601a56.JPG

If the bone from this summer is just an indeterminate bone chunk do you think the holes could be bored into it rather than being naturally pitted?

Different bone/shape and its complete 

8 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Different bone/shape and its complete 

Indeed, I think I'm gonna repost some newer images of that smaller one, it's shape is really weird, being almost like that of a whale bulla, where it's rounded on one side and thins out and curves upward on the other.