Tiny Lance fm. Theropod Tooth

PaleoNoel

Hi everyone, tonight I want to share with you one of my favorite finds from the summer, this absolutely tiny theropod tooth I found looking through anthill matrix in Wyoming's Lance formation. It's currently the smallest theropod tooth in my collection and it's always an interesting contrast when compared to my largest personally found tooth (a Tyrannosaurid from Judith River). 

It's about 3 mm in length and a bit over 1.5 mm in width. I believe the serrations have been worn off as they are incredibly faint in some areas and absent in others. I'm not sure if the way the light gleans off the enamel indicates that it would be any particular species, whether it looks more like the result of the pinched base typical of Nanotyrannus teeth or would count as ridges as seen in Acheroraptor. I would like to know the opinions of my fellow members on it's potential identity and the likelihood of it being from a young juvenile/infant/prenatal individual. 

Shot in hand from the field:

6013a5eb0dc4a_TinyLanceTheropodTooth4.thumb.JPG.41738ac59d1bd2589b4e59e65a7578ba.JPG

Shots at home:

6013a5f39498e_TInyLanceTheropodTooth1.thumb.JPG.8ffaf8508cc98a54fa058af5053d4dff.JPG

6013a5fb3164a_TinyLanceTheropodTooth2.thumb.JPG.6bf9de37fa8bb6f19daaf769d9113f5f.JPG

6013a60072575_TInyLanceTheropodTooth3.thumb.JPG.d20e03eb3f8f2fd4b90e69bd900212e6.JPG

@Troodon @jpc @Runner64 @Jaimin013 @hxmendoza

• I found this Informative 3

Wow that sure is a tiny tooth! Nice find! Although serrations are worn off, I would label it as Acheroraptor due to the ridges. Possibly a subadult due to small size?

• I found this Informative 1

Nice tooth.  I cannot unambiguously say its Acheroraptor. The ridges are very strong which I've seen on Nano teeth.  With no serrations visible and more important not being very recurved I would label it as indeterminate.   The tooth is not well preserved so its hard to say if it's functional so guessing it  to be unerupted in its early stages of development so its unknown what size animal it's from

• I found this Informative 4

6 hours ago, Runner64 said:

Wow that sure is a tiny tooth! Nice find! Although serrations are worn off, I would label it as Acheroraptor due to the ridges. Possibly a subadult due to small size?

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Nice tooth.  I cannot unambiguously say its Acheroraptor. The ridges are very strong which I've seen on Nano teeth.  With no serrations visible and more important not being very recurved I would label it as indeterminate.   The tooth is not well preserved so its hard to say if it's functional so guessing it  to be unerupted in its early stages of development so its unknown what size animal it's from

Thanks for the input!

32 minutes ago, jpc said:

Nice tooth... I cannot say more than these others have said.  Anthill finds are the best!

Indeed! I definitely love the small stuff and anthills have been good to me over the years. In my experience I find Richardoestesia isoceles the most among all theropod teeth. I believe I've found at least six on anthills in the past 3 seasons between the Lance and Hell Creek. 

2 hours ago, jdp said:

Are the serrations worn off or are they entirely absent? If the latter, this could be some sort of enantornithine.

I thought about enantiornithine as well, but if memory serves me right, the base is tapered inward (pinched) on those guys, no?  Maybe we need to see a photo of the base...

2 hours ago, jdp said:

Are the serrations worn off or are they entirely absent? If the latter, this could be some sort of enantornithine.

I had considered it based on the small size, but wasn't sure as those I've seen didn't quite fit the shape.

12 minutes ago, jpc said:

I thought about enantiornithine as well, but if memory serves me right, the base is tapered inward (pinched) on those guys, no?  Maybe we need to see a photo of the base...

I believe the serrations are worn off as what appear to be worn denticles are present at the base. I'll get a pic of the base soon, going over to a friend's house tonight and planning on helping him get some stuff ID'd so I'll be away from my own collection. 

Here's a shot of the tiny tooth compared to my largest personally found theropod tooth (Gorgo/Daspletosaurus, Judith River fm.) just for a fun comparison.

IMG_6346.thumb.JPG.50d72dbead97a0e97dacba90784918bf.JPG

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1