WA state shark tooth

Fossilis Willis

Hey gang. This is my first looking for an ID, hopefully I'm going about it the right way. I found this gorgeous little tooth a couple weeks ago in big chunk of matrix I brought home from an exposure I believe is miocene Lincoln Creek Formation. It is my first found shark tooth, and I am super excited about it. From what I can tell, shark teeth are fairly uncommon in Washington, and any ideas on species would be much appreciated. Sorry for poor image quality,  photography is on the long list of things I need to improve upon. 

rsz_20210129_172509.jpg

rsz_20210129_172552.jpg

rsz_20210129_172631.jpg

rsz_20210129_172701.jpg

Alright, I tried (and tried and tried) to take a clearer photo without a lot of success. This was the best I could come up with. Thanks for having a look.

rsz_20210202_124234.jpg

If this is Miocene, it could be a lower anterior Carcharodon hastalis. I thought the Lincoln Creek Formation was Eocene or Oligocene?

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for the help. It's my understanding that the LCF is late Eocene to early Miocene.

34 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

If this is Miocene, it could be a lower anterior Carcharodon hastalis. I thought the Lincoln Creek Formation was Eocene or Oligocene?

3 hours ago, BellamyBlake said:

It looks like Hastalis to me as well.

I appreciate the help. Unfortunately teeth are few and far between in these parts so I am quite ignorant when it comes to identification.

For what it's worth, this could pretty easily by an Oligocene Isurus tooth - the taxonomy is a bit muddled but when you get into the Oligocene the oxyrhinchus and "narrow form" hastalis teeth sort of converge into the same morphotype and are difficult to tell apart (if indeed actually separate).

• I found this Informative 3

8 hours ago, Fossilis Willis said:

I appreciate the help. Unfortunately teeth are few and far between in these parts so I am quite ignorant when it comes to identification.

Honestly I'm really into collecting exotic shark teeth, and I've never even heard of a tooth from Washington haha. Congrats on your find! 

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, BellamyBlake said:

Honestly I'm really into collecting exotic shark teeth, and I've never even heard of a tooth from Washington haha. Congrats on your find! 

Thanks. I was in absolute disbelief when I realized what I had found. 

3 hours ago, Boesse said:

For what it's worth, this could pretty easily by an Oligocene Isurus tooth - the taxonomy is a bit muddled but when you get into the Oligocene the oxyrhinchus and "narrow form" hastalis teeth sort of converge into the same morphotype and are difficult to tell apart (if indeed actually separate).

I had a feeling identification might get a bit sticky, especially since it's missing a bit of the root. Not to mention the fact that my photography skills leave much to be desired. Thanks for the input!