Marine Fossil? Impression Fossil?

Brandy Cole

Howdy everyone.  :-)

I think I've gotten a little better at identifying the Pleistocene fossils I've found (and figuring out when an ID is probably hopeless), but on the few things I've found that don't fall into that era, I'm still pretty lost.

I found the rock below a while back in a sand and gravel matrix near South Texas.  

It looks like a regular nondescript rock on its rounded face (top left), but on the flatter face (the other three pictures), it looks like it was cracked open at some point and revealed something.  Tiny fin?  Leaf?  Impression fossil or marine creature fossil fragment?  I'm hoping some of you experts can give me some info.  Thanks as always!

6015e2433a19c_ImpressionSmallRock.thumb.jpg.ae7302063b6835a81000ed1cdc38faab.jpg

My first guess is a bryozoan imprint although the extent and shape of the fenestrules aren't clear.

• I found this Informative 3

On 1/30/2021 at 5:09 PM, Thomas.Dodson said:

My first guess is a bryozoan imprint although the extent and shape of the fenestrules aren't clear.

Thank you!  I tried to take the picture in different light settings, but it's hard to capture the detail. Even then, it looks like some tiny parts are still covered by rock.  I appreciate the help.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m totally in agreement. I find these in SE Louisiana gravels and up into SW Mississippi as well. In an educational publication about MS Fossils they’re referenced as specimens #10-12, “cryptostome bryozoans.” (I’d share a link to it but it seems to be gone now.) I also found one of mine in a rando pic and included it so you could see it in a different matrix (upper right corner with a native american drill resting on it). I’m in E Feliciana Parish, the Pleistocene Citronelle Formation is at the surface in a number of our more deeply embedded creeks and rivers.

552626E0-C018-450B-994D-782B7BBB0A2A.png

45B0B709-FF30-414A-B2F7-66201E4CC5D5.jpeg

"Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he.

Watson and Holmes in "The Crooked Man" ~ Conan Doyle

• 2 weeks later...