California Gastropod Identification Help

Gregory Kruse

I purchased this large gastropod fossil at a rock and mineral show back in 1991.  The location is from Capitola, California, USA and I believe that it may be Pliocene in age.  Any help in identifying it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!g2.thumb.jpg.d1abcd0072c46e552b322ee689af928a.jpg

g.jpg

g3.jpg

g4.jpg

g.jpg

It is probably a Natica species such as Natica causa which occurs in the Pliocene Purisima Formation.

See: 

White, Lisa et al. The Purisima Formation at Capitola Beach, Santa Cruz County, CA: A Deeper Examination of Pliocene Fossils. American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting 2005, abstract id. ED43A-0845

https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2005AGUFMED43A0845W/abstract

The formation is in @Boesse‘s former backyard.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

This is Polynices (=Neverita) lewisii - Natica causa (=Cryptonatica affinis) only gets to about 4cm long. P. lewisii, the Lewis Moon Snail, is still extant and the world's largest naticid snail. OP's specimen is from an early Pliocene horizon called the Clinocardium facies, which produces relatively large specimens of this, Clinocardium, and Dendraster.

• I found this Informative 3

On 1/31/2021 at 9:27 AM, Boesse said:

This is Polynices (=Neverita) lewisii - Natica causa (=Cryptonatica affinis) only gets to about 4cm long. P. lewisii, the Lewis Moon Snail, is still extant and the world's largest naticid snail. OP's specimen is from an early Pliocene horizon called the Clinocardium facies, which produces relatively large specimens of this, Clinocardium, and Dendraster.

Hi Bobby,

I don't know a lot about gastropods but recognized that one and that's a big specimen and it's in nice shape - uncommon find.  I don't think I've seen one much bigger than that.

A nice little guide to Purisima shells is:

Perry, F.A.  1988.  (though mine is from the second printing "with minor revisions")

Fossil Invertebrates and Geology of the Marine Cliffs at Capitola, California.  Santa Cruz Museum Association.  30p.

Jess

Hello all,

These are some great references.  Thank you so much!  The large specimen was purchased from a dealer at a rock show in Carterville, IL in about 1991.  I purchased it for $9 - I really splurged to  have that specimen!  Thanks again!  - Greg Kruse, Casper, WY