carved crab?

Ezio Bonsignore

This is supposed to be a  Xantho (Lophoxanthus) Scaberrimus from West Java,Indonesia. It looks blatantly fake to me (no articulations on the chelae!?) - or, do such "carving like" fossils actually exist? Several are being on offer now on that auction site, which is doubly suspicious. Thanks in advance

crab1.thumb.jpg.cdc3d0a471a7b5dfe4b24e9e8b09316b.jpg

Definitely not a fossils. Bad fake.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

I don't see any joints, so definitely a carving. Probably dipped in cow dung and urine for good measure (i.e., to make it look old)...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

29 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Looks like real fake news to me.

:default_rofl:

• I found this Informative 1

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

I wonder who sits around and thinks to themself, "I can carve fake crabs and make lots of money"?    Just a thought. 

RB

7 minutes ago, RJB said:

I wonder who sits around and thinks to themself, "I can carve fake crabs and make lots of money"?    Just a thought. 

RB

As they say, "There's a sucker born every minute."

• I Agree 1

37 minutes ago, RJB said:

RB

A lot easier than finding a specimen "of the same quality" and prepping it to perfection. Plus, especially to local standards, there's a lot of money that can be made. 

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

7 hours ago, RJB said:

RB

Actually when I used to live in Panama C.Z local natives used to do similar ones and did quite well selling them to the tourists as souvenirs. Of course they didn’t try to market them as real.

Although there are real Indonesian crab fossils around, carvings like these are extremely common

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!