My rabbit found something.

jnicholes

So, I went out to check on my rabbit today. She’s been digging a big hole in the backyard, making herself a home. I was going through the dirt, seeing if I can find anything. Sure enough, I found something.

As weird as it may sound, my rabbit found this, not me. I just found it in her dirt pile.

It looks like remnants of a gastropod and a fossilized bone encased in a rock.

Anyway, I thought it was very funny. I wanted to show you what what she found. Pictures are attached.

Jared

image.jpg

image.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks for sharing. I once found a crab concretion just outside the entrance of a river otter den that had obviously been excavated by said otter. I felt a little guilty taking it since the otter had done all the work.

• I found this Informative 1

Interesting. While we're on the subject, I've collected multiple fossils where animals did all the hard work excavating or finding. In Georgia I'd often find silicified fossils (usually Mesalia and Turritella) in Bluehead Chub nests. I once found an arrowhead in these nests as well. They have good taste in nest architecture. :heartylaugh:

There's a Fox Hills Formation site in North Dakota that's been covered almost entirely by erosion but records indicate was a pretty prolific site. I've collected fossils from it on pocket gopher mounds that they were kind enough to dig up and throw at the burrow entrance.

• I found this Informative 2

36 minutes ago, Fossilis Willis said:

Thanks for sharing. I once found a crab concretion just outside the entrance of a river otter den that had obviously been excavated by said otter. I felt a little guilty taking it since the otter had done all the work.

Well, for me, I don’t feel much guilt. She’s my rabbit. I am giving her credit for finding it, of course!

Here she is, by the way. My little fossil digging partner!

62807741-4602-44EA-8750-F7BBB3EB9B61.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

6 minutes ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

In Georgia I'd often find silicified fossils (usually Mesalia and Turritella) in Bluehead Chub nests.

Wow, that must be one large nest to hold a megalodon ancestor

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

30 minutes ago, jnicholes said:

Well, for me, I don’t feel much guilt. She’s my rabbit. I am giving her credit for finding it, of course!

Here she is, by the way. My little fossil digging partner!

62807741-4602-44EA-8750-F7BBB3EB9B61.jpeg

She's a good looking rabbit, reminds me of one I had as a kid. I loved rabbits until I saw Watership Down. 

13 minutes ago, Fossilis Willis said:

She's a good looking rabbit, reminds me of one I had as a kid. I loved rabbits until I saw Watership Down. 

Man, I haven’t seen that movie in a long time!

Her name is Sophie, she is 7 years old, Netherland Dwarf/Californian mix. She has quite the personality, actually.

7 hours ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

Thats cool. All my rabbit does is destroy everything. 

OK, I have to say one thing. I like your user name! I’m a big fan of FF7!

One of my friends has never had a dog nor cat.  His family has always had rabbits.  I didn't realize they had personalities until I saw their rabbits in action over the years.  His girlfriend even trained the last rabbit they had to ring a bell for a treat.  That rabbit's favorite thing was shredding cardboard and ringing the bell.