Jurassic stellate structure

IsaacTheFossilMan

First post on TFF, hello all! I can't lie though, I've been sneakily perusing this forum for a good year now, learning from other's posts!

Anyways... This is a tiny stellate structure found on Jurassic limestone from the Cotswolds, England. Upon first glance, I somewhat childishly assumed it to be asteroidea, but, based on other specimen I've gathered in this area, and the details on it, I'm leaning more towards a Pentacrinite columnal. However, based on the thinness of the structure, its taxophonomy, and the fact that it alone, I'm still unsure.

There's also a plethora of other specimen on this bed - for example, to the right of the structure, there's a small Pectinida! Undoubtedly, this was once the seafloor!

Please, submit your ideas!

IMG_20210131_132923366-02.jpeg

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Yes, Isocrinus by the look of it. 

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Alright, thanks for the help guys!

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

This is another Isocrinus that I've found in the Cotswolds. I don't need help with identification, I am just incredibly confused as to the flowing cup structure underneath it. If anyone could tell me what it is, I'd be very grateful!

IMG_20210110_170203773-01.jpeg

8 hours ago, jpc said:

how do you guys differentiate between Isocrinus and Pentacrinites and Pentacrinus?

You really have a point there. I just jumped at the one without first considering the other and I really can't tell the difference myself. Maybe the OP should just define them as Isocrinida gen + sp indet until someone more knowledgeable tunes in here.

@JimTheFossilMan

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I usually tend to identify as orders, never really genus or species, especially with water worn and small specimen like this, so I was already going for Isocrinida! Thanks all the same! @Ludwigia

• I found this Informative 1