UK Convex Spherical Structure (marine)

IsaacTheFossilMan

Heya!

This is a spherical convex structure found in the South of the England. Unfortunately, as I found it when I was very little, I cannot seem to recall the exact location, and, thus, the age. Originally, as a child, I crudely assumed it to be a mushroom... Ah, the wonders of child's minds... More recently, I conducted a study upon it, and, due to the septa and mouth-like crystalline structure at the top, I identified it as a polyp cup of a Rugosa coral. However, I am still unsure as to what it is. Any input would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

601a7da5d4ac1_1-zoomed.thumb.JPG.33c6e1ac3c62cf5e242d9659b29a0d27.JPG601a7da6dfb8e_2-zoomed.thumb.JPG.d24c41d34a3d8fb44162d13291ab2c8c.JPG601a7da7e6b66_3-zoomed.thumb.JPG.fa961a20b220744d830b092fdcb69f4e.JPG

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

15 minutes ago, Pemphix said:

Button coral

Okay, so my Microcyclus identification could have some truth to it?

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

It is coral, but scleractinian rather than rugose. Chomatoseris is a good possibility, from the Jurassic.

Button coral is colloquial for this shape, and handy if you can't narrow it down at all, but it covers a multitude of unrelated genera from all of coral bearing geological periods up to the present.  

Microcyclus has a similar overall shape but is rugose with a very different detailed structure, from the Devonian. So you were on the right lines.:)

(By the way, "polyp" just refers to the sea anemone-like soft tissue animal. "Corallite" is the bit that you find fossilised and is the exoskeleton.)

• I found this Informative 6

Tarquin

37 minutes ago, TqB said:

It is coral, but scleractinian rather than rugose. Chomatoseris is a good possibility, from the Jurassic.

Button coral is colloquial for this shape, and handy if you can't narrow it down at all, but it covers a multitude of unrelated genera from all of coral bearing geological periods up to the present.  

Microcyclus has a similar overall shape but is rugose with a very different detailed structure, from the Devonian. So you were on the right lines.:)

(By the way, "polyp" just refers to the sea anemone-like soft tissue animal. "Corallite" is the bit that you find fossilised and is the exoskeleton.)

Ah, thank you so much, that's awesome! I'm very grateful man, cheers!!!