Florida Pliocene Shell and Coral trip

MikeR

This week, work carried me to South Florida once again and as the winter temperatures were a chilly 70oF, an opportunity to do some weekend collecting at one of my favorite quarries.  Unlike the famous shell pits in Sarasota where the Pinecrest Member of Tamiami exposes extensive beds of Pliocene shell, this quarry lying within the coral facies (Golden Gate Member) of the Tamiami is composed of not only shell but limestone, sand and corals.  I am constantly confounded with this locality's geology as certain faunal elements suggest Lower Pleistocene Caloosahatchee Formation.  Published reports however, state that the Caloosahatchee is not found this far south, but a more lengthy explanation will have to wait until the day I get around to updating my Pliocene Project blog entry.  Among the picture finds below is the best example of size, color and gloss of the rare shell Liochlamys bulbosa that I have ever seen.  Unfortunately, it was found by my collecting partner although my day was not a bust as among other finds, I found a very large complete Strombus and many Siphocypraea (not pictured).

601b1a6eb613d_bonita1.thumb.jpg.ddb46283929ed30414d64757f403c555.jpg 601b1a701ec5a_bonita4.jpg.3f3904b580da072686df7083085c41b7.jpg601b1a6f298f7_bonita2.jpg.4c9649ec0b2207ba9f1769589e71c717.jpg601b1a6fadd96_bonita3.jpg.e4cd696d92dd4e518b7aee248804f5c9.jpg601b1a72be13e_Liochlamysbulbosab.thumb.jpg.3aeec76dbf2fc8642e955544e6792a91.jpg601b1a7365a2b_Liochlamysbulbosa.thumb.jpg.b93d803a649f40b0c81b14ba56aaf9b6.jpgStrombus.jpg.2f26e7805bb8fa2642929cc2ae45da33.jpg601b1a72249dd_Fasciolariascalarina.jpg.05434162387abb1b202f272565fcac0d.jpgcoral.thumb.jpg.d7dec8dadf5181bb8589d05b2507f87d.jpg601b1a7090cc6_Conusadversarius.jpg.d079d426e20aa7ce7da758aafd1df5c1.jpgshells.thumb.jpg.92fe94414018cd3c5d79367472442e62.jpg

• I found this Informative 18

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Those are some big gastropod shells. Great finds!

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

16 hours ago, MikeR said:

This week, work carried me to South Florida once again and as the winter temperatures were a chilly 70oF, an opportunity to do some weekend collecting at one of my favorite quarries. 

Thanks,  Mike for sharing the adventure !!! :tiphat:

Not only the corals and shells, but I love the scenery. It must be the joy of finding at similar sites in my memory..

image.png.0e1878d331c2ecf558aaf2c3eda9eadd.png

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice corals.
Dichocoenia behind the great gasteropod ???.
Siderastrea over the screwdriver ???.
In the last photo there are many corals among bivalves and gastropods. Siderastrea again, Manicina, Stylophora, Antillophyllia ???.
It seems like an entertaining place for coral lovers. Most people saw gastropods and bivalves but there is always some crazy person who sees the coral. Mmmmmm .... nobody´s perfect.

1 hour ago, oyo said:

Most people saw gastropods and bivalves but there is always some crazy person who sees the coral. Mmmmmm .... nobody´s perfect.

:dinothumb::)

I like your sense of humor!

Franz Bernhard

3 hours ago, oyo said:

It seems like an entertaining place for coral lovers. Most people saw gastropods and bivalves but there is always some crazy person who sees the coral. Mmmmmm .... nobody´s perfect.

The Golden Gate Member is known for it's amazing diversity of corals.

Don

22 hours ago, oyo said:

Nice corals.
Dichocoenia behind the great gasteropod ???.
Siderastrea over the screwdriver ???.
In the last photo there are many corals among bivalves and gastropods. Siderastrea again, Manicina, Stylophora, Antillophyllia ???.

Corals in the pictures are

Dichocoenia caloosahatcheensis

Siderastrea dalli

Manicina areolata

Placocyathus costatus

Trachyphyllia bilobata

As Don mentions, the Golden Gate Member of the Tamiami is very rich in corals, representing a typical coral reef community including reef crest, reef platform, back reef and reef lagoon.  Over the years between both the Golden Gate and the Pinecrest Members I have accumulate a large number of different species of corals from some that are found in the Caribbean to others which are extinct.  From my fauna list as follows:

Phylum Cnidaria

Class Hydrozoa

Order Anthothecata

Family Milleporidae       

Millepora alcicornis Linne, 1758

Class Anthozoa

Order Scleractinia

Family Acroporidae       

Acropora cervicornis (Lamarck, 1816)

Family Agariciidae

Agaricia lamarcki Milne-Edwards & Haime, 1851

Family Astrocoeniidae   

Stephanocoenia intersepta (Lamarck, 1816)

Stephanocoenia spongiformis (Duncan, 1864)

Family Caryophyllidae

Paracyathus cf. pulchellus (Philippi, 1842)

Phyllangia americana Milne-Edwards & Haime, 1849

Placocyathus alveolus Duncan, 1863

Placocyathus barrette Duncan, 1863

Placocyathus costatus Duncan, 1863                                          

Family Faviidae

Diploria sarasotana Weisbord, 1974

Isophyllia desotoensis Weisbord, 1974

Manicina areolata (Linne, 1758)

Manicina areolata (Linne, 1758) var.

Manicina grandis (Duncan, 1864)

Manicina pliocenica Gane, 1895

Manicina puntagordensis Weisbord, 1968

Montastrea cavernosa (Linne, 1758)

Mussismilia aff. harti (Verrill, 1868)

Mussismilia hispida (Verrill, 1901)

Pseudodiploria clivosa (Dana, 1846)

Pseudodiploria strigosa (Dana, 1846)

Scolymia cubensis (Milne-Edwards & Haime, 1849)

Thysanus excentricusDuncan, 1863                             

Family Meandrinidae     

Dichocoenia caloosahatcheensis Weisbord, 1974

Dichocoenia eminens Weisbord, 1974

Dichocoenia stokesi Milne-Edwards & Haime, 1848

Dichocoenia stokesi f.stellaris Milne-Edwards & Haime, 1848

Eusmilia fastigata              (Pallas, 1766)

Meandrina meandrites (Linne, 1767)

Trachyphyllia bilobata (Duncan, 1864)

Family Oculinidae

Oculina sarasotana Weisbord, 1974

Family Pocilloporidae    

Madracis deactis (Lyman, 1859)

Stylophora affinis              Duncan, 1863

Stylophora granulate Duncan, 1864

Family Poritidae             

Goniopora hilli Vaughan, 1919

Goniopora imperatoris Vaughan, 1919

Porites porites (Pallas, 1766)

Family Rhizangiidae

Astrangia leonensis Weisbord, 1974

Septastrea marylandica (Conrad, 1837)

Septastrea crassa (Holmes, 1858)

Family Siderastreidae

Siderastrea dalli Vaughn, 1919

Siderastrea pliocenica Vaughan, 1919

Family Incertae sedis     

Antillia dentata Duncan, 1864

Solenastrea bouroni Edwards & Haime, 1849

Solenastrea hyades (Dana, 1846)

• I found this Informative 4

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

1 minute ago, oyo said:

And that ?????

Good eye!  I missed that one.  It is hard to tell in the picture, but if I had to guess, maybe Stylophora granulata. 

Oh yes, it is a very trained eye. Many hours looking at branchy coral poupourris. Stylophora, yes, that had seemed to me.
I will take the opportunity to ask your opinion about a sample that came to me many years ago in an exchange. It came to me as Antillophyllia but clearly it is not. I think it is Scolomya but I do not dominate your grounds to say much more about it. Location: Sarasota County, Florida. It is attached to a fragment of oyster shell and has numerous small holes.
Maybe you could complete the specimen file to me.

DSCN3668-1.jpg

DSCN3669-1.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Wow! That looks like quite the place for Pliocene marine mollusks and coral and you must have had quite the time picking up those specimens. Thank you for sharing.

On 2/6/2021 at 11:16 AM, oyo said:

Oh yes, it is a very trained eye. Many hours looking at branchy coral poupourris. Stylophora, yes, that had seemed to me.
I will take the opportunity to ask your opinion about a sample that came to me many years ago in an exchange. It came to me as Antillophyllia but clearly it is not. I think it is Scolomya but I do not dominate your grounds to say much more about it. Location: Sarasota County, Florida. It is attached to a fragment of oyster shell and has numerous small holes.
Maybe you could complete the specimen file to me.

Definitely Scolomya.  I am thinking Scolomya lacera which has been reported from the Tamiami by Budd, Klaus, Meeder and others along with two undescribed species.  I have in my list Scolomya cubensis which they do not list so I will need to research that a little more to make sure it is correct.  

image.png.0b0510dbda8778f8630f696feeaf5e02.png

Scolomya lacera was the species that I thought for that specimen but could not find citations in Florida.
Can you indicate the title and full reference of that publication to which you refer?
Some authors consider Scolomya cubensis and Scolomya wellsi as a subspecies of Scolomya lacera and refer to them as Scolomya lacera lacera forma cubensis and Scolomya lacera wellsi. Source Zlatarski and Martínez Estalella 1982 Les Scleractinaires de Cuba.

Budd AF, Fukami H, Smith ND, Knowlton N. (2012). Taxonomic classification of the reef coral family Mussidae (Cnidaria: Anthozoa: Scleractinia). Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society. 166 (3): 465-529.

I tried to attach the PDF, however it is too large, but a free download can be found here LINK

Mike

I have attached work from Jim Klaus specific to Tamiami corals as well as his supplemental which lists taxa to Meeder's localities.

Global&PlanetaryChange152_27-37 Tamiami Reefs.pdf

Tamiami-Supplemental.xlsx

5 minutes ago, MikeR said:

I have attached work from Jim Klaus specific to Tamiami corals as well as his supplemental which lists taxa to Meeder's localities.

Global&PlanetaryChange152_27-37 Tamiami Reefs.pdf

Tamiami-Supplemental.xlsx

10 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Budd AF, Fukami H, Smith ND, Knowlton N. (2012). Taxonomic classification of the reef coral family Mussidae (Cnidaria: Anthozoa: Scleractinia). Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society. 166 (3): 465-529.

I tried to attach the PDF, however it is too large, but a free download can be found here LINK

Mike

Thanks Mike.