Whale teeth ID?

Jenny2222

I'm wondering if these are modern walrus tusks? 

Either way, you may want to check the legality of owning these.  :( 

LINK

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 2021-02-04 at 2:50 PM, Fossildude19 said:

LINK

Yeah that’s why I’m very curious as to what they are, last thing I want is people to be selling illegal material at flea markets 

2 minutes ago, Jenny2222 said:

Yeah that’s why I’m very curious as to what they are, last thing I want is people to be selling illegal material at flea markets 

And without ID I don’t know how to check rules and regulations/laws 

On 2/4/2021 at 4:50 PM, Fossildude19 said:

LINK

I just finished reading through that ID page and these are probably whale. Walrus ivory is supposed to have a marble or oatmeal appearance in the secondary dentine. The cross section is also more irregular as opposed to round or oval. The cross section of these seems like what they list as sperm whale and killer whale.

• I found this Informative 3

18 minutes ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

I just finished reading through that ID page and these are probably whale. Walrus ivory is supposed to have a marble or oatmeal appearance in the secondary dentine. The cross section is also more irregular as opposed to round or oval. The cross section of these seems like what they list as sperm whale and killer whale.

That was my initial thought as well! Thanks for looking, I appreciate it

The walrus tusks I've seen are not so sharp at the tip as you have in the third photo.  I don't know anything about the teeth.  

It seems you're in Canada, and that appears modern. Take this with a grain of salt, it's not legal advice; I have seen shops around Toronto selling modern marine mammal tusks and teeth, supposedly legally, though they note that they will not ship outside of Canada because it's illegal. You may want to check the provenance on these and then navigate the appropriate laws.

20 minutes ago, BellamyBlake said:

It seems you're in Canada, and that appears modern. Take this with a grain of salt, it's not legal advice; I have seen shops around Toronto selling modern marine mammal tusks and teeth, supposedly legally, though they note that they will not ship outside of Canada because it's illegal. You may want to check the provenance on these and then navigate the appropriate laws.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Any way to delete my posts on here? Don’t want any negative associations with these until I can figure out what do with them. 

Hi,

No, and it is very disrespectful to withdraw the messages ! People have answered you, they have enlightened you and you would sabotage this subject by doing so. By leaving it here, it helps to inform those who come to see it and find themselves in the same situation as you, as you yourself were courteously informed.

That said, I thought the ivory sale was banned worldwide.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

2 minutes ago, Coco said:

Hi,

No, and it is very disrespectful to withdraw the messages ! People have answered you, they have enlightened you and you would sabotage this subject by doing so. By leaving it here, it helps to inform those who come to see it and find themselves in the same situation as you, as you yourself were courteously informed.

That said, I thought the ivory sale was banned worldwide.

Coco

Didn’t mean to delete others messages, didn’t even realize I did until you said that? My apologies. And it is banned, I don’t know what these are 

Don’t worry, there’s no harm in what you wrote and no reason to suppress anything. If that were the case, the administrators would do it. This forum is very well managed.

Maybe someone can identify your specimen, we’ve solved big puzzles here! So have a little patience until someone who is competent in this field visits your subject.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

8 minutes ago, Coco said:
Don’t worry, there’s no harm in what you wrote and no reason to suppress anything. If that were the case, the administrators would do it. This forum is very well managed.

Maybe someone can identify your specimen, we’ve solved big puzzles here! So have a little patience until someone who is competent in this field visits your subject.

Coco

I appreciate that a lot, and I sure hope so :) sorry if I offended anyone or was disrespectful or did anything wrong! Just trying to figure this out as I go, I appreciate the help a lot 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The one with the natural end is either a sperm whale or a killer whale tooth; the sawn one is pretty clearly a sperm whale tooth.

• I found this Informative 2

when i was a child in the 60"s  i bought a sperm whale tooth, it looks alot like yours.  It was legal then and it is i believe grandfathered in but i would have no purchase record to prove it.  (I would be lucky to find it, let alone a  store receipt that would only have listed a price and not a real record.)  Unless you try to sell the teeth that you have I really would not worry about it.

35 minutes ago, Boesse said:

The one with the natural end is either a sperm whale or a killer whale tooth; the sawn one is pretty clearly a sperm whale tooth.

Thank you! 

15 minutes ago, 10313horn said:

when i was a child in the 60"s  i bought a sperm whale tooth, it looks alot like yours.  It was legal then and it is i believe grandfathered in but i would have no purchase record to prove it.  (I would be lucky to find it, let alone a  store receipt that would only have listed a price and not a real record.)  Unless you try to sell the teeth that you have I really would not worry about it.

Thank you very much for sharing that, it eased my mind from the worry! If that’s the case they will stay safe with me until I’m old enough to not find it either hahah!