Ptychodus04

7 hours ago, Randyw said:

:envy: You get to work on the coolest stuff!

Yah, I’ve been pretty lucky so far. :thumbsu:

7 hours ago, Kane said:

That’s what happens when they coat woolly rhinos in butter. :P 

I tried to tell them not to but they just didn’t listen.

6 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Looks like it is ruined. Might as well just send the pieces here for disposal...

:default_rofl:

It is in a box on its way to you. I only had a small box so, I had to break it up with a hammer to make it fit.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

I like the table.

• Thank You 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

• 2 weeks later...

It has been way too cold to work in my lab this week. -2 yesterday morning! So, the rhino repair stayed inside and I got around to working on it. The mandibles are now back together and almost ready for restoration.

816FD401-42A3-44E5-87D9-EBA115AE25D5.thumb.jpeg.67182297db1351a669e8148a58c6306a.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Harness some small pot-bellied pigs to the front of this one, and I think you'll have yourself a snow sleigh! :D 

• Enjoyed 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

20 minutes ago, Kane said:

Harness some small pot-bellied pigs to the front of this one, and I think you'll have yourself a snow sleigh! :D 

With the temps down here being more like your winter than mine (snow again last night), I think the pigs would freeze! I need a team of chinchillas!

• Enjoyed 1

• 2 weeks later...

The jaws are now crack filled and awaiting g a bit of paint.

5E22D200-C081-48F4-B16C-2E1D8D15EA4E.thumb.jpeg.458363f6ed2383bccd5cde17bd02d74b.jpeg

Now, on to the rest of the work. This skull has some replica horns that weren’t quite accurate. So, the nasal horn got some work done. Also, the original preparator simply mounted the horn directly on top of the nasal boss. This is common and is terribly inaccurate. Between the boss and the horn was a fibrous bit of connective tissue. The owner wanted it to be more accurate so I built a replica of the said fibrous structure out of Apoxie Sculpt. In order to keep the Apoxie Sculpt from sticking to the boss, I taped plastic wrap to the skull and built on top of it. 

AE39F4DA-1F09-42A0-8276-D7CE7A4B8CF9.thumb.jpeg.bea846770d8a4843ac543791ffe4c35f.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

Very cool, and well done! Did you resist the urge to place the horns on your own head, running around the house and tormenting your family? I know if it were me, I would not be able to resist. :P 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

good work! And look at those ammonites in the background

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

1 hour ago, Top Trilo said:

look at those ammonites in the background

They are nice but that jaw on the slab on the floor! Wow!

that skull is coming along great! You sir are an artist!

12 hours ago, Randyw said:

Wow that is incredible, what's the species?

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

Looking good Kris. Only you could fix it up better than it was before getting smashed. Any idea where that beast was found?

20 hours ago, Kane said:

Very cool, and well done! Did you resist the urge to place the horns on your own head, running around the house and tormenting your family? I know if it were me, I would not be able to resist. :P 

Ooohh, what a great idea. I can’t wait for my boys to get home from work tonight!!

20 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

good work! And look at those ammonites in the background

Thanks. Ammonites are my favorite fossils.

18 hours ago, Randyw said:

Thanks. the slab is most of the disarticulated  head of a Pachyrhizodus caninus.

6 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Wow that is incredible, what's the species?

Coelodonta antiquitatis

4 hours ago, Fossilis Willis said:

Looking good Kris. Only you could fix it up better than it was before getting smashed. Any idea where that beast was found?

I believe this was found somewhere in Siberia.

37 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I believe this was found somewhere in Siberia.

Most recently, it was found in a box and before that, it was found over there on the floor... and over there... and under the table. Hopefully they found all of it. :D

• Enjoyed 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

It looks like its smiling, great job