Help with fossil ID for kids

DerbyshireFossil

Hi, I hope this is ok to post! Whilst out on a walk we came across the attached fossil. Whilst I appreciate it doesn't seem much, its quite distinct and any help to identify it - and help educate the small hands which has been carefully cleaning it - would be very much appreciated. I might have some explaining to do that it isn't a t-rex :) We are located in Derbyshire, United Kingdom. If anybody has good references for teaching kids (6 year old and 3 year old) about fossils it would be great to have them.

fossil_ID.jpg

cleaning.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

This is a crinoid stem(columnals).

crinoid-dia.jpg

Link to teaching resources:) 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Welcome! I am in the UK too! It's a shame we can't visit museums because of Covid, the Natural History Museum in Oxford has always been my favourite, since I lived nearby, and visited often, as a kid! So obviously, I'm going to send a link from Oxford Uni! 

I'm unsure how little your little ones are, but some of these games and activities might be enjoyable to do with them! You could even pop a little more 'heavy' (sounding a bit like Marty now!) information while playing, for example, if an Ammonite crops up, you could say that these are quite common in the UK, and show them a picture of some nice pyritised specimen, or even a reconstruction!

Enjoy! :D

http://www.oum.ox.ac.uk/thezone/fossils/index.htm

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Oh, also, definitely a columnal, forgot to say!

• Thank You 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

The thing that looks like a bolt that will never see a nut started on it, is a cast, (internal mold), of it's lumen. The cavity it circulated sea water in. It functioned in a way similar to our circulatory system.

You can disregard any videos you may come across of them being claimed as mysterious ancient machinery.  :)