Help ID Fossil

Joe Q

Hello thanks taking the time to view my post, a good friend ask me if I could help him out with this Fossil so I joined Up. This was dredged up off the coast of Cape May New Jersey.  Any information on it would be greatly appreciated. regards joe

IMG_3481.JPG

IMG_3483.JPG

IMG_3487.JPG

Edited by Joe Q

Looks to be a tusk to me. Try researching similar fossils found in the area.

• Thank You 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Looks like a walrus tusk. It looks like globular dentine on the end, unless those are pebbles stuck in the cavity.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Joe Q said:

Hello thanks taking the time to view my post, a good friend ask me if I could help him out with this Fossil so I joined Up. This was dredged up off the coast of Cape May New Jersey.  Any information on it would be greatly appreciated. regards joe

Tell your friend he has a fantastic find !!!, Joe  !!!   Welcome to the forum

See this link

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/florida-vertebrate-fossils/species/ontocetus-emmonsi/

@Boesse

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Tell your friend he has a fantastic find !!!, Joe  !!!   Welcome to the forum

See this link

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/florida-vertebrate-fossils/species/ontocetus-emmonsi/

@Boesse

Thank You Shellseeker!! Pretty cool to get this kind of information I am sure my friend will be happy to see this info, I am not informed at all in this field more a glass and collectables guy. I was just amazed to hold this item in hand, extremely interesting and rewarding field you are in. Thanks for the welcome, I did not read the Forum Rules so I am not sure what type of question at ask next, If you do not mind I will hit you up with a few questions after I read the the Rules. 

Edited by Joe Q

6 hours ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Looks to be a tusk to me. Try researching similar fossils found in the area.

Thank for taking the time to respond!

• Enjoyed 1

6 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Looks like a walrus tusk. It looks like globular dentine on the end, unless those are pebbles stuck in the cavity.

Thanks for taking time to reply!

2 hours ago, Joe Q said:

Thanks for the welcome, I did not read the Forum Rules so I am not sure what type of question at ask next, If you do not mind I will hit you up with a few questions after I read the the Rules. 

Joe, fire away....

Others on this forum will tell you that I am a very curious guy, asking tons of questions. Some of my questions seem crazy and go down rat holes, but I mostly get answers. All questions deserve an answer.  I try the best I can and point you to one of our real experts when I do not know...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

@Al Dente is correct about this being walrus! Probably a late Pleistocene specimen of Odobenus rosmarus. Further south in Virginia you can start finding tusks of the Pliocene species Ontocetus emmonsi, which has stubbier, more highly curved tusks.

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 11:28 PM, Shellseeker said:

Joe, fire away....

Others on this forum will tell you that I am a very curious guy, asking tons of questions. Some of my questions seem crazy and go down rat holes, but I mostly get answers. All questions deserve an answer.  I try the best I can and point you to one of our real experts when I do not know...

Hi thanks again for your time, I do have one question I could not find  a definite answer to. At this point would this be considered ivory?

On 2/7/2021 at 11:31 AM, Boesse said:

Probably a late Pleistocene specimen of Odobenus rosmarus.

3 hours ago, Joe Q said:

Hi thanks again for your time, I do have one question I could not find  a definite answer to. At this point would this be considered ivory?

Joe,

Whether it is a Walrus tusk on a living animal or a walrus tusk from millions of years ago , all Walrus tusks are ivory.  In 1972, Governments got involved and banned the movements and sale of Ivory of many animals, including Walrus , to protect the animals from human greed.

There is an exception if the tusk was created or acquired prior to 1972.

I quoted Bobby's statement because 1) he is an expert on Walrus fossils and 2) indicates it probably was from an animal that died tens of thousands of years ago.

According to guidance published by the USFWS: "Raw walrus ivory found on the beach by non-Natives [that is, non-Alaska Natives, as defined by the Marine Mammals Protection Act of 1972] can only be possessed if tagged at a USFWS Office within 30 days of finding. This tagged ivory cannot be transferred to another owner without written USFWS permission."

A full guidance sheet entitled "Walrus Ivory Dos & Don'ts," is available for download from the USFWS website.

If I found this tusk, I would NOT be selling or in any way transferring it.  Your friend should likely contact the New Jersey Fish & Wildlife Service for any restrictions. The penalties are serious and so are certain states that include New Jersey.

The MMPA doesn't apply to fossils, which this certainly is (walruses haven't been native to the New Jersey coast since the Pleistocene).