Douglas Point, MD

Searcher78

Been months since I’ve been out, so I went surface hunting. I can’t wait until it is warmer so I can sift for the nice small teeth. 

F1E6EECB-6494-418D-96D0-5A25F524EF9B.jpeg

D1B934C7-4E70-46D2-970D-2118F31962BA.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 4

Nice ray barb! I was out there yesterday too, early morning. Did you perhaps arrive just after me and search north of the trailhead? I was wearing a blue jacket.

2 hours ago, bthemoose said:

Nice ray barb! I was out there yesterday too, early morning. Did you perhaps arrive just after me and search north of the trailhead? I was wearing a blue jacket.

I had the green vest and waiters on. Arrived just after person in a car.

• Enjoyed 1

1 minute ago, Searcher78 said:

I had the green vest and waiters on. Arrived just after person in a car.

Yep, that was me.

2 minutes ago, bthemoose said:

Yep, that was me.

I figured eventually I would go at the same time as another member.  Since it is cold, I am not sifting. I prefer to hunt for the small “angels”, “hounds”, “dogs”, and “nurses”. 

Just now, Searcher78 said:

I figured eventually I would go at the same time as another member.  Since it is cold, I am not sifting. I prefer to hunt for the small “angels”, “hounds”, “dogs”, and “nurses”. 

Your posts of the smaller stuff actually inspired me to return to Douglas Point after mostly hunting the Miocene the last few months. I was going there pretty regularly for a while but grew tired of finding almost entirely Striatolamia striata from surface collecting. I took some river pebbles home (just scooped them into a couple of gallon bags) yesterday so I can sift through them at home. I did the same a few weeks ago and found several new to me things (then returned the non-fossil gravels to the river yesterday).

I see you found a Pachygaleus. I’ve yet to find one surface collecting, but hopefully I’ll find one in the gravels I collected!

Yesterday, in addition to the normal stuff, I got quite lucky with a big Otodus that’s just over 4 cm—by far my largest to date and the first I’d found of any size since early last spring. There also seemed to be an unusual amount of complete ray teeth, as it looks like you found too.

7BF7F42D-AE05-40DE-AA22-62E651EC7404.thumb.jpeg.97fb5048a0387249c48721e623a89517.jpegD9430F9F-A169-46BA-BDD6-BA7F612A0609.thumb.jpeg.f5c3d640422aaad83ccc6597c4425768.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

Nice find. The ray teeth are abundant. I also get tired of the Sand Tigers, that is why a look for the other types. I happen to find a croc tooth once in a while.

Congrats on those finds, especially the Pachygaleus and the ray barb. I happen to love Douglas Point despite 95% of the material is sand tiger, oysters, gastro internal molds, and ray teeth. Patient and careful searching often turns up rare and interesting specimens. I do mostly surface collecting in the shallow water, but plan to do more sifting in the future. 

I'm envious of the sheer volume of shark teeth to be found in your area. I recently found my first tooth here in WA, and I suspect it will be quite some time before I find another. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the things that can be found in relative abundance here, but who doesn't love shark teeth?

• I Agree 1

5 hours ago, Fossilis Willis said:

I'm envious of the sheer volume of shark teeth to be found in your area. I recently found my first tooth here in WA, and I suspect it will be quite some time before I find another. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the things that can be found in relative abundance here, but who doesn't love shark teeth?

I only got into collecting shark teeth a couple years ago. I missed out on a lot of great collecting here and in Florida. Never knew how many great fossils I was missing out on in Florida.

• I found this Informative 1