HuckMucus

I found these in the Owyhee Desert of south-west Idaho back in the 90s.  I was told the jaw with teeth was a Drum Fish.  The enamel is like brand new.  There are tons of these fossils in certain areas.  I guess the whole area was under water at one point.  The holes in the little shells were found that way.  Any clarification on names would be appreciated. 

Owyhee 2.jpg

Owyhee1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

It’s a pretty tall order. Could you photograph groups of similar objects together? It would make it easier to reply

the conical items in the second photo resemble lithified turritellid gastropods

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

These shark teeth are from Miocene or Pliocene. They didn’t originate in Idaho, no oceans there at the time. They look like east coast teeth.

F192A4DD-6900-4AA5-A196-C858D9C4F77D.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

These shark teeth are from Miocene or Pliocene. They didn’t originate in Idaho, no oceans there at the time. They look like east coast teeth.

there were glaciers in the area so maybe there were glacial erratics? 

I will try to separate them out by type (as best I can) and rephoto when I can.  Al Dente is correct about the shark teeth, at least as far as I know.  I don't even know where they came from because I did not find them.  I think someone gave them to me.  I should separate them out from the Owyhee stuff.  The Drum Fish teeth were always curious to me.  They seem so mammalian to my unscientific eye.

1 hour ago, HuckMucus said:

They seem so mammalian to my unscientific eye.

They are known for that. They look like drum from what I can see. Topmost bivalve in the second picture is a Inoceramus sp. You probably know this but the vertebral elements are all fish. The gastropods do seem turritellid. Just to clarify, aside from the shark teeth everything else came from the same place?

Some other stuff might be identifiable but I'll wait for more pictures.

25 minutes ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

They are known for that. They look like drum from what I can see. Topmost bivalve in the second picture is a Inoceramus sp. You probably know this but the vertebral elements are all fish. The gastropods do seem turritellid. Just to clarify, aside from the shark teeth everything else came from the same place?

Some other stuff might be identifiable but I'll wait for more pictures.

Yes, they  all came from south of the Snake River, south-west of Murphy, Idaho.  They are all over in my Harbor Site (aka man cave) and I'll have to go dig them out and re-shoot them.  It may be a few days. 

They were really abundant.  Some were locked up in sandstone but many were just laying around.  Lots of vertebrae, jaws with those strange teeth, those round things with holes through the middle (?), and those wide fat red pieces.  I also found a yellow crystal there.  I'm told that was all under a lake eons ago.  However, I also know the Bonneville Flood tore down the Snake way back.  I'm not sure if the flood water got this far from the Snake, though.  If so, maybe some things were brought in?

Oh, in the same area, I also found these jaw pieces (they are fossilized):    

jaw.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

9 hours ago, will stevenson said:

glaciers would bring material from the north or from the mountains. No Mio-Plio marine strata there.  These are east coast teeth, probably Florida

• I Agree 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

10 hours ago, HuckMucus said:

.  I was told the jaw with teeth was a Drum Fish. 

More likely from the Cyprinidae (carps and minnows). Here are some cyprinid pharyngeal jaws from the attached publication.

0CA087B5-355C-4FF0-BFD3-5380674EC3B4.jpeg

2CB3C5CA-0202-4265-8406-4C3AC45907D4.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

10 hours ago, will stevenson said:

Unlikely

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 2/6/2021 at 6:26 PM, hemipristis said:

It’s a pretty tall order. Could you photograph groups of similar objects together? It would make it easier to reply

the conical items in the second photo resemble lithified turritellid gastropods

Hi hemipristis:  I took some more photos by similar appearance.

Jaws missing teeth.  Not Drum Fish.  Something else.

Owyee 1.jpg

Owyhee 0.jpg

Owyhee 3.jpg

Flatish bone.  Maybe that connection from body to fin?  Some I've seen had like a scapula to bone attachment.  Don't know what they are but some are like jewels.

Owyhee 8.jpg

Owyhee 9.jpg