M Harvey

(Having trouble adding text).  This is something I found in a creek gravel bed in central Alabama.  It has me stumped and wonder if it is recognizable to anyone.  Could be Cretaceous, Paleocene, or Pleistocene.  The break is colloidal and reminds me of obsidian.    Any thoughts? 

It would be easier if you got rid of much of the extra space.  I try to make the fossil fill 70-80 % of the photo....

IMG_2109crop.JPG.94168163486713a2066a9ae49f695794.JPG

I am wondering if (outside the ring) that darker material is enamal making it tooth or tusk... and that globular core reminds me of walrus...

Likely need crisper closeups of the "enamel" and the globular core

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 2/7/2021 at 3:24 PM, Shellseeker said:

It would be easier if you got rid of much of the extra space.  I try to make the fossil fill 70-80 % of the photo....

IMG_2109crop.JPG.94168163486713a2066a9ae49f695794.JPG

I am wondering if (outside the ring) that darker material is enamal making it tooth or tusk... and that globular core reminds me of walrus...

Likely need crisper closeups of the "enamel" and the globular core

I am not at all familiar with walrus material.  Do you think it is a wear surface or the base, like a deer antler?  I will try to submit a better photo.

So if you search this forum,  you will find threads like these

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/60609-possible-tusk-fragment/

and photos like these:

In a walrus tusk , there is the outer ring of ivory and a inner globular dentine core.. Your photo seems to have outer enamel and inner globular core...

image.thumb.png.dfb7d88a101955cb9d810330352368e8.png

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Just adding the fragment of a walrus tusk, I thought was somewhat similar.

IMG_4136walrus.jpeg

IMG_4139walrus.jpeg

IMG_4140walrus.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

I think it is a possibility.  It certainly has  flint characteristics.  It's the pattern that has me puzzled.  It looks biological to me.