Tube-shaped marine fossil/junk/artifact from Brazos feeder

jtangandgorditi1994

Found this on the surface in a Brazos River feeder creek near Houston.  It was not near any known exposure, but the Brazos itself transport marine Eocene and Paleocene from up north.  It also erodes out Pleistocene bone pretty often.

The bank of this feeder creek was sandy with clay underneath.  One end of the cross section appears to show something organic within.  When looking in from the empty end, the cavity wall is rough but doesn't look like bone-porous.  Lick test of the outer surface is positive, noticeably, which makes me think this is marine.  Overall, the segment is 1" in (outer) diameter and 1" long.

I am still novice at fossil hunting, but this is entirely unfamiliar to me.  I would guess baculite or horn coral, but only the because of the shape :)

Any ideas appreciated!!!

inside_1.jpeg

outer_surface_2.jpeg

inside_4.jpeg

Hi there.  Upon further inspection, I saw a thin line that continued very straight across the whole outer diameter (you can kind of see it in photo 2).  Definitely something man-made, and I'm fairly certain it's some kind of rebar anchor.

;P

• I found this Informative 1